Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have been trying to setup a simple linux file server for some months. I have tried many linux distributions and eventually got it working with the latest Fedora. But, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Smile Thankyou Slackware

I have been trying to setup a simple linux file server for some months. I have tried many linux distributions and eventually got it working with the latest Fedora.

But, I did not understand how I got it working, there were many false starts so I was nervous about installing it in my office.

I decided to try a version of Linux that used configuration files as the norm as I flet the gui configurations for samba were confusing.

Hence I tried slackware, downloaded the cds last night, installed Linux last night, got samba working this morning - marvellous.

(With the help of these simple instructions)

How to Install SAMBA on Slackware 11.0 - Easy steps to install SAMBA on Slackware 11.0 - Softpedia)

I have no hesitation in setting up a simple slackware server in my office now.

I was so pleased I thought to look at using Slackware for my python development - but came across the difficulties of installing wxPython...

Maybe as a relatively new linux user I should try to install a simpler application from the source first, just to understand what is going on!!

Great Slackware! A convert for sure.

oz
    forum.guy
    Glad you are enjoying Slackware. It's a fantastic distro in my opinion. Of course, as with any other distro, it's not for everyone.

There used to be an old saying that I heard quite often that went something like, "once you go with Slack, you'll never go back" (to your previous distro).

Hope you continue to enjoy using it.
    oz

Linux Newbie
    I am surprised and at the same time pleased to see a first time user enjoy one of the toughest distributions ever as being simple and cool. Keep up the good work and remember - good things take time to happen. Learning is a good thing. So don't be upset if you take long to learn Slackware fully. Its a time consuming but at the same time rewarding process.
    A man learns from his experience. A smart man learns from the experience of others, while a smarter man experiences life after knowing other's experiences.

BE THE SMARTER MAN.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by MetalheadGautham View Post
    ....one of the toughest distributions ever as being simple and cool.
    Trust me, Slackware isn't even close!

Good to see you like Slack, it really is one of the simplest distros out there. I've used Debian as my daily distro for many years now and I still don't understand how to use some of its tools... there's just too many of them.

Glad to see you're enjoying it.
    "Today you are freer than ever to do what you want, provided you can pay for it!" --Bad Religion

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by bidi View Post
    Trust me, Slackware isn't even close!

Good to see you like Slack, it really is one of the simplest distros out there. I've used Debian as my daily distro for many years now and I still don't understand how to use some of its tools... there's just too many of them.

Glad to see you're enjoying it.
    Is it ? I remember a time when my friends used to rant about who had to do the minimum amount of reinstalls to get slackware to work properly. A guy did 8 of them and he was happy that his computer was empty already.

Guess Distros change faster than Time. This btw, was 8 years or so back.
    A man learns from his experience. A smart man learns from the experience of others, while a smarter man experiences life after knowing other's experiences.

BE THE SMARTER MAN.