Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've been using Linux for some time now and I wanted to try Slackware. I have an Ubuntu box that uses Xcfe and I wanted to put Slackware on it. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

System requirements?

I've been using Linux for some time now and I wanted to try Slackware. I have an Ubuntu box that uses Xcfe and I wanted to put Slackware on it. The thing is though, its 2.2 Ghz proc., 512MB RAM, and 40G HD. I'm also familiar with Debian and Knoppix.

Will I have any trouble running it? I really like the KDE environment and I would like to use that, unless it would run too sluggish in which case I would stick to Xfce and Thunar. Ubuntu is kinda heavy and so using KDE with it on less than 1G RAM is choopy and kinda slow.

I understand in Slackware dependancies aren't resolved for you like with apt-get so you have to do them youself. If they aren't done for you then how do you resolve them? I wouldn't even realize there is a problem until I try to run a program and it won't work.

You should be more than fine running Slackware with KDE on that machine.

You're right - dependencies are not resolved with pkgtool. You can look into tools such as slapt-get or swaret. You can also look into source based package management systems such as pkgsrc.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Well thats cool. I'm downloading it now. I look forward to my first Slack build then. It should be a nice weekend project, I've heard a lot of good things about Slackware.

Also installing programs in Slack is like this?

Code:
    su
    installpkg <packagename.tgz>
    Is it really that simple?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    Yep!

It shouldn't take you the whole weekend, just make sure you do a "full" install since it's easier and you don't have to understand the dependencies.
    "Today you are freer than ever to do what you want, provided you can pay for it!" --Bad Religion