Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi.... new Slack user, just switched from Mandrake 10.0 to Slackware 10.0.. anyway... I'm having a hard time figuring out how to configure my internet for Slack. It's not automated ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ADSL and Slackware....

Hi.... new Slack user, just switched from Mandrake 10.0 to Slackware 10.0..

anyway... I'm having a hard time figuring out how to configure my internet for Slack. It's not automated like it was in KDE. I don't even know where to begin to start configuring it.

my DSL provider is alltel..

and my ADSL box is an Orckit fast ethernet....

if this is something I have to do in a shell, I won't lie, I'll have no clue what I'm doing.

ANY help is appreciated.

thanks in advance.

oz
    forum.guy
    Network configuration can be achieved in Slack by going to a console, change to root, then type: netconfig

Hope this helps.

If you use DHCP, then do what Ozar said. If you use pppoe, check out re-pppoe at www.roaringpenguin.com

Banned
    if you have a router and an ethernet card and your useing dymanic ip addresses back up /etc/rc.d/rc.modules then edit it to load the module for your card and uncomment the line that modprobes ppp then edit /etc/rc.d/rc..inet.conf look under ETH0 and add "yes" to theline that reads USE_DHCP[0]="" add uour ISPs name server to your /etc/resolv.conf with a line that reads "nameserver xx.xx.xx.xx " where xx.xx.xx.xx is the ip address of the nameserver reboot
    this was all I had to do to get ASDL working on my computer

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by rob.rice
    if you have a router and an ethernet card and your useing dymanic ip addresses back up /etc/rc.d/rc.modules then edit it to load the module for your card and uncomment the line that modprobes ppp then edit /etc/rc.d/rc..inet.conf look under ETH0 and add "yes" to theline that reads USE_DHCP[0]="" add uour ISPs name server to your /etc/resolv.conf with a line that reads "nameserver xx.xx.xx.xx " where xx.xx.xx.xx is the ip address of the nameserver reboot
    this was all I had to do to get ASDL working on my computer
    well... yes, I do have a Linksys router... but could you elaborate more on that?

Just Joined!
    Setting up a network in Slack is fairly simple. if you run netconfig it will ask you a series of questions. the info i needed was if I had a DHCP server (if I did what the IP was) my ISP's hostname , DNS IP#, IP# of the system on the network (192.168.1.***), and the Gateway address. You can get all that info from calling your ISP, or if you have a Windows machine Go to Start,Run, type: "winipcfg" and it will give you ALL the info you need.

-m-