Find the answer to your Linux question:
ok, so i know the process of using gzip tools and the "make install" process. But my question here is howto install a package so that instead of running it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation Installing Packages

ok, so i know the process of using gzip tools and the "make install" process. But my question here is howto install a package so that instead of running it from its installation place such as "./root/limewire" but to just type in a terminal "limewire" and have it run.

in another distro, i didn't have the aircrack-ng suite, so when i installed it, i had to type "./aircrack-ng" but in the backtrack distro, you simply type "aircrack-ng" as a command. My guess would be to compile it into the kernel. But I don't know.

So do I compile it into the kernel, or is there another way?

If I understand you correctly, running a program without entering the full path is merely a matter of having the executable in your path.

There are several ways to achieve this.
    a) Automagic. The installer places the executable somewhere in your path. This is the default.
    b) You add the location of the executable to your path. For example /usr/local/games.
    c) You add a softlink pointing to the executable somewhere in your path.

So unless I don't correctly understand your question, this is not a kernel function.
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

That's right..