Find the answer to your Linux question:
Wanting to upgrade with the libpng upgrade, BUT I either get wholesale complaints about it when I do exactly as specified OR I get NO response as to the final ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

upgrading a package

Wanting to upgrade with the libpng upgrade, BUT I either get wholesale complaints about it when I do exactly as specified OR I get NO response as to the final status (running a dry run in both instances).
    OK, the libpng upgrade is residing in another directory (nothing says this is wrong).
    If I use this (from where the new package resides):
    ROOT=/var/log/mount/slackware/l upgradepkg --dry-run \
    > --reinstall libpng-1.2.18-i486-1.tgz%libpng-1.2.27-i486-1_slack12.0.tgz
    Note that I read the man page and it says:
    To upgrade in a directory other than / (such as /mnt):
    ROOT=/mnt upgradepkg package.tgz

I get this:
    mkdir: cannot create directory `/var/log/mount/slackware/l/var/log/setup/tmp': No such file or directory
    chmod: cannot access `/var/log/mount/slackware/l/var/log/setup/tmp': No such file or directory
    libpng-1.2.18-i486-1 would not be upgraded (no installed package named libpng).
    If I use this:
    upgradepkg --dry-run --verbose \

I get nothing. Did I loose something important that was sent elsewhere? OR, would it reinstall correctly?
    Note: --reinstall used if you want to upgrade all packages even if the same version is already installed. --per man page.
    I am probably being picky.
    That bit about ROOT= seems like it needs much further explanation.
    BTW, is the "_slack12.0" required on the new package name?

Setting ROOT=/path/ shouldn't be necessary on a properly build slackpack.tgz, it only confuses the installer.

As witnessed:
    Code:
    mkdir: cannot create directory `/var/log/mount/slackware/l/var/log/setup/tmp': No such file or directory
    chmod: cannot access `/var/log/mount/slackware/l/var/log/setup/tmp': No such file or directory
    Quote Originally Posted by clickit
    upgradepkg --dry-run --verbose \

I get nothing. Did I loose something important that was sent elsewhere? OR, would it reinstall correctly?
    No output aye? I've come to trust Slack that I take that as a good sign. But I think you should use upgradepkg without --reinstall. I think (but am not sure) that --reinstall cancels out --verbose, as --reinstall will install the package regardless of the outcome of any test it'll do. It's not needed here. I'd leave it at:
    Code:
    upgradepkg --dry-run --verbose libpng-1.2.18-i486-1.tgz%libpng-1.2.27-i486-1_slack12.0.tgz
    If you want to know the exit status of the last command, just type "echo $?"

That bit about ROOT= seems like it needs much further explanation.
    BTW, is the "_slack12.0" required on the new package name?
    ROOT=/path/ is needed to tell the installer where to put the package. This is a variable normally already set in slackpacks. You will need it however when you makepkg your own slackpacks. Otherwise it will install the package in /, which isn't nice and gives you a lot of cleaning to do

The _slack12.0 isn't needed. The system does nothing with it, although it makes it easier for humans to see what the package is build for.
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

Linux User

upgradepkg

I have seen Slack, Digital, and 5-6 big ones, gad look at M$, make mistakes hence I question everything.
    They should NOT just hang up when its cooked that gets a B instead of an A in my classes.
    Looks like ROOT= ain't needed. Like you I am not sure if reinstall trumps verbose, but test below seems to indicate it. Feels like no one tried this before shipping the man page.
    OK! Tried it with verbose removed and it came back saying:
    libpng-1.2.27-i486-1_slack12.0 would upgrade: libpng-1.2.18-i486-1
    Sweet success!
    Tried it without verbose and without "_slack12.0" (.tgz left shifted) and got:
    libpng-1.2.27-i486-1 incoming package not found (command line).
    Guess they need to clean up the man page and add at least an OK instead of no response.
    Thanks

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Tried it without verbose and without "_slack12.0" (.tgz left shifted) and got:
    Oh sorry, I had read your question wrong. I thought you meant something else.

libpng-1.2.27-i486-1_slack12.0 would upgrade: libpng-1.2.18-i486-1
    Sweet success!

Guess they need to clean up the man page and add at least an OK instead of no response.
    Code:
    su ; vim `which upgradepkg`
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI