Greetings, all;

I recently installed 12.1 on my desktop at work. It installed wonderfully, and gave less trouble and more functionality then the RH#L5 workstation install that preceded it. With only 1 issue. The version of OpenSSH that ships with 12.1 does not have support for Kerberos5 or GSSAPI compiled into it. When I install the krb5 package, edit the /etc/ssh/sshd.config file to include the options for it and bounce the service, sshd complains that the krb and gssapi options are meaningless. There are too many machines to try to manage keys, and we do not directly own the system we support, so we are not permitted to have the root passwords. So I try to compile ssh with krb5 and gssapi support. At first, the ./configure and make cycle goes well, but eventually fails with "can't find -ldes". Googled for that, and set a symbolic link to libdes425.so. Compiles go further, but now hangs with:

/usr/lib/gcc/i486-slackware-linux/4.2.3/../../../../i486-slackware-linux/bin/ld: warning: libcom_err.so.2, needed by /usr/lib/gcc/i486-slackware-linux/4.2.3/../../../libgssapi.so, may conflict with libcom_err.so.3
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-slackware-linux/4.2.3/../../../../i486-slackware-linux/bin/ld: warning: libkrb5.so.3, needed by /usr/lib/gcc/i486-slackware-linux/4.2.3/../../../libdes.so, may conflict with libkrb5.so.24

The version of OpenSSH I am trying to compile is the portable 5.0p1 from the OpenSSH site. My ./configure options are:

./configure --with-gssapi --with-kerberos5=/usr/bin --with-ssl-dir=/usr/bin --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --sysconfdir=/etc/ssh --mandir=/usr/man --docdir=/usr/doc --with-mantype=man --with-tcp-wrappers --with-md5-passwords --with-pid-dir=/var/run --with-rand-helper

If anyone has any pointers on getting this working, please let me know. It will be greatly appreciated.