Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a machine running Slackware as NAT for my internal network. But now I need that machine's monitor and I need to set it up to work without a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Slackware running without a monitor ?

I have a machine running Slackware as NAT for my internal network. But now I need that machine's monitor and I need to set it up to work without a monitor. Is there anything special I should do ?

no, just leave you machine running, disconnect the monitor and use it for something else.
    If you need to do somethings on the machine, like upgrades, etc, use putty to start a telnet / ssh connection to the machine... and login ...

---[ MS09-99896 - Vulnerability in All MS Windows OS ; Using Windows Could Allow Remote Code Execution. ]---
    Hardware: Asus P4P800, 1GB, P4-3Ghz, Asus V9950, Maxtor ATA HD\'s, 3Com GBit lan, Audigy ZS Plat.

Linux Newbie
    You could also install webmin on the NAT and use any browser on any client to do admin work.
    OH NOOOOO!!!!!! You did it the way I said?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    true, but because webmins integrated webserver is a little errr... beta i would recommend installing it, but using a ssh client to start it only when you need it. I have not looked into the security of webmin, but the idea of CGI's provided on a web interface with full root access is not one that i like alot. But im a little anal about some of that suff, so its your choice.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Linux Newbie
    Ok, thanks. I just plugged out the monitor and it works the same way it did. I didn't figure it would be that easy As far as remote administration is concerned I wrote a program on the NAT machine listening on a filtered port so I can access only from one of my network machines. It just sits on the port and when it gets the command it runs the ssh daemon and another command shuts it down (the prog is running in an account jail).... it's not that I don't trust webmin, but I am more comfortable with ssh. So in the end I have a nice NAT with no monitor and an SSH daemon only when I want to

Just Joined!
    Just for future reference to anybody with a similar question. Computers don't need peripherals to run. Unless there is a program constant running that needs user input; a monitor is not needed. 90% of servers don't even have monitors or keyboards hooked up to them.

-m-

Linux Newbie
    Well, I have one Intelli Station E Pro and it beeps and reports an error when you plug out the monitor but I am sure it is a matter of setting it up in bios.

Just Joined!
    yes, a system doesn't need a monitor to run. The beep is just trying to let you know that it is not plugged in, or not working correctly.

-m-

Just Joined!
    I have a Similiar situation too!!. one machine got openSuse 10.2 on it and got a monitor. Second machine is very old and monitor recently got burnt. If I start the second machine both should ping right? (They are connected), B'se all the services get started before the login so they must ping each other . Thats not happening.

Do i need to connect monitor for the first time then log in then unplug the monitor and keep it ON all the time to acces it through ssh or telnet ?

Athreya