Find the answer to your Linux question:
Intel Dual Core HP Pavilion dv9000 laptop 2GB ram Slackware 12 Kernel 2.6.26-smp I have a USB drive (MicroSD card reader) that I am trying to format into fat16 without ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

[SOLVED] Formatting USB Drive

Intel Dual Core HP Pavilion dv9000 laptop 2GB ram Slackware 12 Kernel 2.6.26-smp

I have a USB drive (MicroSD card reader) that I am trying to format into fat16 without having to use my windows computer to do it. It seems that as I use the card every now and again it gets corrupted and I am unable to write to it without reformatting it. When I try to format it using fdisk, fdisk see's it as a new filesystem of type fat16, but when I pull it up in konqueror all of the files that were on it before are still there... is this something to do with konqueror caching the filesystem?

under konqueror the device shows up as media/sdc1 so I'm fdisking /dev/sdc1. What should I be doing at this point?

Thanks!

Okay it turns out it's not Konqueror because windows still shows the files too. I don't understand, was I formatting the wrong partition? Is media:/sdc1 in konqueror not the same thing as /dev/sdc1?

Execute df -h and sudo fdisk -l commands and check which mount point has been assigned to USB Drive.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

wahcordian@darkstar:~$ df -h
    Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sdb1 74G 11G 60G 15% /
    /dev/sdc1 1.9G 32M 1.9G 2% /media/disk

Thanks for showing me a new command!! /media/disk is the the USB device.

Glad to help you !
    I would suggest you to check linuxcommand.org.
    Enjoy Linux !
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First