Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi gang, Here is the deal. I installed slack v-10 on my laptop. My CD-burner an DVD player doesn't work. I know it is because Slack thinks they are scsi. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

DVD's Burners on Laptop

Hi gang,
    Here is the deal. I installed slack v-10 on my laptop. My CD-burner an DVD player doesn't work. I know it is because Slack thinks they are scsi. I am not sure how to get around this. I am running a 2.4 kernel and I heard the 2.6 kernel fixes this. I guess my question is should I recompile to 2.6 or can some one give me the procedures to emulate scsi in 2.4? And can someone verify that the problem is actually fixed in Kernel 2.6?

Thank you,
    Mike

Just Joined!
    adrenaline,
    Seems like you have the same problem as mine (see "mounting firewire cdrw").
    I think kernel 2.4.26 can handle this because when I load knoppix using kernel 2.4.26, my cdrom works.

I got it to work i figured out how to make the soft links and edit lilo, that got my dvd to work then I needed to download and install the xine lib file.
    Now it works. Problem is now when i play the cpu goes to 100% and practically stops the laptop. there is something wrong. Something in the laptop doesn't like something probably a driver but I don't even know how to diagnose it. What ever happens doesn't show up in ps faux or top.
    I don't even know what to show you for help. Once I get xine shut down it goes back to normal. it is something with the laptop because I have it on my desktop and it halls ass with almost no configuration.

any ideas would sure help.
    I wish I could help you but I don't really understand firewire yet.

Mike

btw I had the same problem with the sound till I got it working.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    update. I think I figured out the cpu issue it is something with dvd

" libdvdnav: Suspected RCE Region Protection!!"
    This is the error I get and looking at all posts over the internet this is a problem with the new dvd player stuff. I have the exact same problem with ogle. The old software seems to conflict with the new OS so I am thinking this will not be fixable and if this is true maybe I will have to install an older OS like Red Hat 9 to get everything to work. I certaily don't want to go to wintendos.

Unless anyone has any better Ideas I am going to Red Hat on my laptop but I will definately keep slack on my desktop. Slack is definately faster than RH.

Mike