Find the answer to your Linux question:
Im useing Slackware 12.1 with Blackbox as my windows manager and for right now the kde 3.x desk top environment. I was wondering if there is any better desktop environment's ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Blackbox - Desktop environment

Im useing Slackware 12.1 with Blackbox as my windows manager and for right now the kde 3.x desk top environment. I was wondering if there is any better desktop environment's that I could use ? I hav.e used gnome before and dont really like it but hey any thing will help thanks

oz
    forum.guy
    The three major desktop environments for Linux are:

Gnome
    KDE
    Xfce4

They all have their advantages and disadvantages, so you really need to try each, and be sure to spend some time with each of them to become familiar with the pros and cons of each. I really liked KDE for about 8 years, but the release of KDE4 has driven me to like Gnome better. Xfce4 is good, but it always feels a little too light for my tastes.

Edit:
    regarding the various windows managers... when I run them, I always run them stand-alone, without any desktop environment installed. Sometimes, certain types of applications can be hard to find, but there is usually something available that will work.
    Last edited by oz; 10-09-2008 at 02:28 AM.
    oz

I've found IceWM to be very fast, and pretty easy to configure. It's pretty minimalistic if that's what you're looking for.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    Another lightweight desktop environment you could try would be LXDE:

LXDE.org | Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment

I've never used it so would be interested in hearing how it works out for you, should you try it.
    oz

Linux Enthusiast
    There's quite a few out there. I've never used it, but have heard good things about ROX (based on the Rox file manager and GTK+). LXDE seems to have gone a long way since the last time I looked it at it, might be a viable option as well.

Personally, I use Gnome on Debian and GNUstep on Slackware.
    "Today you are freer than ever to do what you want, provided you can pay for it!" --Bad Religion

oz
    forum.guy
    You can find a pretty good listing of window managers and desktop environments along with some information about each, here:

Window Managers for X
    oz

Just Joined!
    I have tryed rox before but did not really like it all that much so I think im going to try out some of the other ones out and see how they all work. Thanks for all the help.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverbain View Post
    I have tryed rox before but did not really like it all that much so I think im going to try out some of the other ones out and see how they all work. Thanks for all the help.
    That's the best route to take - try them for yourself to see what you like.

With Linux, there are "distro-hoppers" and there are "desktop environment & window manager hoppers". I've been both at some point in the past and might well be one or the other again in the future.
    oz

With Linux, there are "distro-hoppers" and there are "desktop environment & window manager hoppers". I've been both at some point in the past and might well be one or the other again in the future.
    Personally, when I find something I like, I stick with it. That why I've stuck with Fedora for the last couple of years. I've started an install of CRUX 2.4 and enjoyed every minute of it! But with Fedora, I managed to try quite a few different DM's. My fave is IceWM! It's just a snappy fast interface that is easy to configure and easy to work with! Another good one (not much experience with it), would be BlackBox! Not my cup of tea, but is was pretty quick to respond! Like oz said,
    try them for yourself to see what you like.
    Once you do that, you'll know the true flavor of Linux!
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    Personally, when I find something I like, I stick with it. That why I've stuck with Fedora for the last couple of years. I've started an install of CRUX 2.4 and enjoyed every minute of it! But with Fedora, I managed to try quite a few different DM's. My fave is IceWM! It's just a snappy fast interface that is easy to configure and easy to work with! Another good one (not much experience with it), would be BlackBox! Not my cup of tea, but is was pretty quick to respond! Like oz said, Once you do that, you'll know the true flavor of Linux!
    Jayd512 I use blackbox. What im trying to do is find a DE that will not slow BB down all that much that is why I asked for the help dont get me wrong I thank you for the help. I do not mean to sound rude. I have not had the chance yet to try out any of the DE yet but will hear soon.