Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Slackware 12 installation

Hey fellow Linux users. Ive used linux off and on for the past few month and have settled on Slax. I downloaded the complete Slackware 12 installation DVD and sealed it a DVD/RW. Booted from the disc then got to the partition phase. I did the whole "cfdisk" thing and every time it pulls up as "Read Only" and only recognizing the 3.8gb boot disc.

So I searched vigorously over the net with key words such as "Slackware 12 partition", "Slackware installation "READ ONLY"", and "Dual Boot Slackware and Vista". Now I assume you see the problem VISTA. The most unuserfriendly software on plant Earth. Found a few answer here prompting me to use partitioning software. Partition Magic LiveCD shunk my HD but came up with some sort of error so I had to undo the partition. I tried EasyBCD, didnt work. Then I read something about LILO and GRUB. But I have no idea what program the need to run, and since Windows doesnt recognize either Im guess they are for a linux OS. So here I am asking you all for help and for any points in the right direction. Im not quite at a dead end but a fork in the road.

Linux Newbie
    it may sound silly, but have you tried to 'delete' the partition and recreate a new one?
    If you get on the wrong train all the stations you will come to will be the wrong stations.

What does the rest of your partition table look like?

fdisk -l

It's strange because your sda device has roughly a 1GB partition.
    With only 130MB for your swap, and right over 1000MB formatted with reiserfs.
    You didn't do that?

Switch devices by doing "cfdisk /dev/hda" where hda could be hdb-hdc-etc.

Slackware is one of the harder and less forgiving distros.
    Are you sure it's what you want to start with?

4. $spacer_open
    arch linux
    Quote Originally Posted by Ignousia View Post
    Partition Magic LiveCD shunk my HD but came up with some sort of error so I had to undo the partition.
    Welcome to the forums!

I'd recommend trying PartedMagic LiveCD over Partition Magic. It runs from liveCD, is a clone of Partition Magic, and is very easy to use for your partitioning chores.