I have an ATI X1650 pro 512Mb PCIe video card had 3d exceleration working and everything on it.

fgl_glxgears used to reported around 2000fps and glxgears used reported around 6000fps I tried upgrading to the newest ATI (hopeing for better support and maybe better fps) drivers but when I did glxgears output dropped to around 1200fps when just ran the ./ati-driver-installer-8-10-x86.x86_64.run and only if I ran it as root and fgl_glxgears won't run because of a segmentation fault

When I ran ./ati-driver-installer-8-10-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Slackware/All and ati-driver-installer-8-10-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Slackware/Only_Module
then ran installpkg on the made packages I only get around 700fps and once again only if I run glxgears as root I should have made a backup of my previous xorg.conf and everything before I attempted the upgrade but i forgot to do it and I would like to get my fps back up so i can play Nexuiz and other games but right now I'm lost as what to do last time i did this it took like 5 mins this time I've been at it for about a day or so.

Last time I believe i just did the ./ati-driver-installer-(whatever the driver was at that time).run --buildpkg Slackware/All and then installpkg on the generated package.But I don't know maybe I'm doing something wrong any help would be greatly appreciated.