Find the answer to your Linux question:
im trying to install slackware 12.1 to a usb hdd, its a 40gb sata drive and has 3 partitions and now when i try to boot it i get this ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

kernal panic

im trying to install slackware 12.1 to a usb hdd, its a 40gb sata drive and has 3 partitions
    and now when i try to boot it i get this error
    kernal panic - not syncing:vfs: unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (8,1)

does anyone know whats wrong here ?
    or how 2 fix it ???

thanks for any help

Quote Originally Posted by rich3545 View Post
    im trying to install slackware 12.1 to a usb hdd, its a 40gb sata drive and has 3 partitions
    and now when i try to boot it i get this error
    kernal panic - not syncing:vfs: unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (8,1)

or how 2 fix it ???

thanks for any help
    i had this happen this weekend. but it was on an internal sata drive in my laptop. i formatted the partitions and re-installed. same choices the whole way through and it worked the second time. :shrug:

Just Joined!
    More than likely the install is having trouble with the sata
    I would first download a new iso , burn a new cd then run the install again to eliminate a bad download as the cause.
    You may also try adjusting bios settings from sata mode to ide mode. You may need to experiment a bit and try different setting than you have now. There should be 3 different choices
    ie
    IDE mode - no AHCI, no RAID
    SATA mode (sometimes called AHCI mode) - AHCI enabled, no RAID
    RAID mode - AHCI enabled, RAID enabled

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I'm sorry, but no one can know exactly about this, except for yourself; because there are too many reasons cause that problems. Let's imagine, Linux says "kernel panics" is just like I says "I'm sick", no one can know that what my sickness is.

Anyway, with the information you provided, I guess maybe there's something wrong in the bootloader and mount point /boot. Use your Slackware DVD to boot then login as root and give me the outputs of these commands below:
    1. #cat /boot/grub/menu.lst if you use GRUB as bootloader
    #cat /etc/lilo.conf if you use LILO as bootloader
    2. #ls /boot
    3. #fdisk -l

I'll find a way to help you.

# Regards
    # St.Konqueror