Find the answer to your Linux question:
I recently installed Slackware Linux with LILO on one of my computers, and ironically my biggest problem is shutting it down safely. Up till now, I've just been using the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Forgot Root Password

I recently installed Slackware Linux with LILO on one of my computers, and ironically my biggest problem is shutting it down safely. Up till now, I've just been using the power button, but since that's too dangerous for the computer, and it makes it take forever to start up, I want to be able to shut it down properly.

Unfortuately, I've forgotten the password to root. How can I recover it or reset it?(I've lost my installation CDs.)

By the way, I'm a complete Linux n00b, so please explain anything with detail, and don't assume I know anything but the bare basics. Also, my distribution comes with X, and a fair amount of X aplications.

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

Check this HowTo for several different methods of resetting your root password:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...-password.html
    oz

Just Joined!

Thanks!

This is a great resource, but there's a couple of problems:

1. Knoppix, for one, will only fit on a dvd, and my computer only has a CD drive.(Did I mention that it's from the '90s?)

2. I really don't know anything about using Linux, really, except to start up X, where I don't have such a hard time. So most of the tutorials are gibberish to me, though I hate to admit it.

3. I still have to log in when I start up single user mode.

And that's only the scratch on the surface(though I'll grant you that it's a pretty deep scratch).

oz
    forum.guy
    Most of the various liveCDs available should work about as well as Knoppix. I'd recommend trying the PartedMagic LiveCD because it is a very small download and quick burn to disk, and it has a number of useful utilities on it that will likely come in handy for you at some point in the future.

If all else fails, another option for resetting the root password is a fresh install. You might not learn as much by doing that, but sometimes it's better if time is of importance.
    oz

oz
    forum.guy
    Not sure why the single mode is not working for you, but I just did a quick test using the PartedMagic LiveCD for the other method and it worked perfectly. You can use it as directed in the HowTo, or you can use it like described below if you find that easier:

Boot the liveCD
    Open PCManFM (file manager)
    Navigate to the /etc folder
    Click the shadow file
    Edit file as directed in HowTo, then save
    Reboot computer
    At login prompt, type: root
    ...don't enter any password, but press ENTER
    Type the new password command: passwd

Check the additional posts below the HowTo for several other methods that might be quicker/easier and can be used to reset the root password.
    oz

Just Joined!

Thanks, but...

To open PCManFM, you type PCManFM at the prompt, right?

Sorry, but like I said, I really don't have any experience at all with text-only systems! Though I'm OK with graphical ones like Windows.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by benzrf View Post
    To open PCManFM, you type PCManFM at the prompt, right?
    There are a number of ways to start applications under Linux. In this case, you could open a terminal and start the file manager by typing pcmanfm at the prompt, or you can look for it in the applications menu and then click on it to start it.
    oz