Find the answer to your Linux question:
I want to run slackware, but even understanding what I'm supposed to download is somewhat of a mystery to me. Sorry, I'm new to Linux, but I would like to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

what to download?(slackware)

I want to run slackware, but even understanding what I'm supposed to download is somewhat of a mystery to me. Sorry, I'm new to Linux, but I would like to learn!

I go to slackware.com/Get Slack/ USA/
    and I'm given a bunch of mirror sites, that's fine. I pick one, then I'm given a directory of files(after I pick the 12.1 version). What exactly is supposed to go on the boot cds?

So I look up 'slackware download', and I get external sites which offer it. One of which, is called softpedia iirc, and its download link is 3.8 gbs. Comparing that to the directory of files the official site gives me, that's a lot more. Either way, I wasn't going to download it from a site which wasn't recommended by the official one, but was just trying to get some perspective.

Anyway, what am I supposed to download, and what's supposed to go on the 6 cds?

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

You'll need the following three ISO files if you want to make sure you have everything:

slackware-12.1-install-d1.iso
    slackware-12.1-install-d2.iso
    slackware-12.1-install-d3.iso

You might not need all three of those, depending on what you do and don't want to install, but it's better to grab them all so that you'll have them should you need them.

The others contain source code that you won't need for an installation.
    oz

Just Joined!
    thanks for the reply

what exactly is on the other cds? source code for what?

also, you say I won't need them for the installation? would I need them later?

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by infinite View Post
    thanks for the reply

what exactly is on the other cds? source code for what?

also, you say I won't need them for the installation? would I need them later?
    The source disks contain the source code for the applications that you will be installing from the installation disks.

I don't know if you will ever need all the files on the other CDs. That would be up to the individual user.
    oz