Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm unable to apply a kernel patch. How is this insurmountable feat performed? I am in a directory where I have: linux-2.6.27.9.tar.bz2 and patch-2.6.27.10 I want to patch the 2.6.27.9 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Applying a kernel patch?

I'm unable to apply a kernel patch.

How is this insurmountable feat performed?

I am in a directory where I have:

linux-2.6.27.9.tar.bz2 and patch-2.6.27.10

I want to patch the 2.6.27.9 kernel to 2.6.27.10. To do this I follow the commands from one of several guides I've read, as such:

tar jxvf linux-2.6.27.9.tar.bz2, to extract obviously
    then change directory to this new dir and do:
    "patch -p1 < ../patch-2.6.27.10"

Which according to said guides should patch the kernel, but it doesn't!

All I get is an endless:

Code:
    patching file Documentation/cciss.txt
    Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected!  Assume -R? [n] 
    Apply anyway? [n] y
    Hunk #1 FAILED at 26.
    1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file Documentation/cciss.txt.rej
    patching file Documentation/filesystems/proc.txt
    Apply anyway? [n] y
    Hunk #1 FAILED at 44.
    Hunk #2 FAILED at 2472.
    2 out of 2 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file Documentation/filesystems/proc.txt.rej
    patching file Documentation/i2c/busses/i2c-sis96x
    I've also attempted to change the name of the kernel source to "a" because this name is present in the patch-file as a directory name, I've also attempted to perform the patch from a different directory, e.g. the same directory as the patch resides in; however, then the patch program asks me what file it should patch, and when I provide the file name, the same issue as above is repeated.

Why am I unable to patch the kernel?I'm unable to apply a kernel patch.

How is this insurmountable feat performed?

I am in a directory where I have:

linux-2.6.27.9.tar.bz2 and patch-2.6.27.10

I want to patch the 2.6.27.9 kernel to 2.6.27.10. To do this I follow the commands from one of several guides I've read, as such:

tar jxvf linux-2.6.27.9.tar.bz2, to extract obviously
    then change directory to this new dir and do:
    "patch -p1 < ../patch-2.6.27.10"

Which according to said guides should patch the kernel, but it doesn't!

All I get is an endless:

Code:
    patching file Documentation/cciss.txt
    Apply anyway? [n] y
    Hunk #1 FAILED at 26.
    1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file Documentation/cciss.txt.rej
    patching file Documentation/filesystems/proc.txt
    Apply anyway? [n] y
    Hunk #1 FAILED at 44.
    Hunk #2 FAILED at 2472.
    2 out of 2 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file Documentation/filesystems/proc.txt.rej
    patching file Documentation/i2c/busses/i2c-sis96x
    I've also attempted to change the name of the kernel source to "a" because this name is present in the patch-file as a directory name, I've also attempted to perform the patch from a different directory, e.g. the same directory as the patch resides in; however, then the patch program asks me what file it should patch, and when I provide the file name, the same issue as above is repeated.

Why am I unable to patch the kernel?

Just Joined!

Kernel Patch..

Try this,

For the purpose of this guide, we will use linux-2.2.x for the kernel name. You should replace the x with the version number of the patch you are installing.

1. Move the downloaded kernel patch to the /usr/src/linux directory.
    2. cd /usr/src/linux
    3. If you downloaded a patch with a .gz extension, execute the following command:
    gunzip patch-2.2.x.gz

If you downloaded a patch with a .bz2 extension, execute the following command:
    bunzip2 patch-2.2.x.bz2
    4. There should now be a file called patch-2.2.14 in the /usr/src/linux directory. Apply the patch to the kernel source tree with the following command:
    patch -p1 < patch-2.2.x

You should now be ready to set the configuation for the new kernel you wish to build

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
    Try this,

For the purpose of this guide, we will use linux-2.2.x for the kernel name. You should replace the x with the version number of the patch you are installing.

1. Move the downloaded kernel patch to the /usr/src/linux directory.
    2. cd /usr/src/linux
    3. If you downloaded a patch with a .gz extension, execute the following command:
    gunzip patch-2.2.x.gz

If you downloaded a patch with a .bz2 extension, execute the following command:
    bunzip2 patch-2.2.x.bz2
    4. There should now be a file called patch-2.2.14 in the /usr/src/linux directory. Apply the patch to the kernel source tree with the following command:
    patch -p1 < patch-2.2.x

You should now be ready to set the configuation for the new kernel you wish to build
    It seems the main reason for me to fail completely at patching the kernel was a lack of understanding of the output of the patch program.

By simply selecting the -R parameter I was able to perform the procedure of patching with using the same procedure as I wrote in the initial post.

However, upon completing the patch (with a minor amount of errors -- files that could not be patched) I am presented with v2.6.27.9 kernel configuration in the ncurses based "menuconfig" instead of the v2.6.27.10 which I would expect when patching from 2.6.27.9 to 2.6.27.10.

What is the reason for this discontinuity?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close