Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have slackware 12 installed. I am trying to access files that i have on a windows box. I haven't done anything special in terms of samba and networking. Just ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Connecting to Windows

I have slackware 12 installed. I am trying to access files that i have on a windows box.
    I haven't done anything special in terms of samba and networking. Just setup a basic network connection. I noticed that i can see the MSHOME workgroup through samba from control center.
    when i try to access the drive it prompts for a user name and password. My windows box has no password so i provided the username for that computer only. No access. The name of my windows box is john. The prompt provides info like server = john, share = "whatever drive". Question: what credentials to I need or do i need to configure samba?

On the windows box; are you set to allow simultaneous log ins?

Also try computername\user name format for your log in name...

May have to disable the welcome screen and fast user switching if in XP.

for share may need to try C$ rather than C:

Just Joined!
    What version of windows are you running?

Alot of issues with Microsoft networking come from NOT having a password on a computer.

One thing to try for a quick solution is put a password on your windows machine then try connecting from linux.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by huzer1 View Post
    What version of windows are you running?

Alot of issues with Microsoft networking come from NOT having a password on a computer.

One thing to try for a quick solution is put a password on your windows machine then try connecting from linux.
    I put a password on the windows box...but i still could not get in. What i did subsequently is share a folder on my windows box and i was able to view the info from slack. i think it is because the destination was not shared ( C$ )

Linux Newbie
    I recall having a similar problem before on my home network, and I think i solved it by fiddling on the windows box and I remember that all i had to do was allow 'file sharing' in the 'control panel' 'network/internet settings'
    good luck
    If you get on the wrong train all the stations you will come to will be the wrong stations.
    Zen