Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi, my problem is with a sis191 ethernet card the module is loaded. I can ping to myself, so loopback is up. ifconfig tell my that eth0 is up whit ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

can not connect to interrnet

hi, my problem is with a sis191 ethernet card
    the module is loaded.
    I can ping to myself, so loopback is up.
    ifconfig tell my that eth0 is up whit the correct ip address the correct mask the correct mac address.
    where do you sugest i must start doing what
    please help this poor bastard
    ============================
    from win
    ip:192.168.10.68
    netmask:255.255.255.0
    gateway:192.168.10.1
    dns 192.168.10.1
    dns 192.168.10.2
    this configuration works on win
    ============================
    ifconfig

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0a:17:0f:23:b1
    inet addr:192.168.10.68 Bcast:192.168.10.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    inet6 addr: fe80::20a:17ff:fe0f:23b1/64 Scope:Link
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:51 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:9 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:3956 (3.8 KiB) TX bytes:594 (594.0 B)
    Interrupt:19 Base address:0xdead

Why 0xdead? I think dead is not a positive word.

lspci

00:04.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 191 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter [1039:0191] (rev 02)

route

Kernel IP routing table
    Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
    localnet * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
    loopback * 255.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 lo
    default 192.168.10.1 0.0.0.0 UG 1 0 0 eth0

what should I do first?

oz
    forum.guy
    Sorry, I'm not running Slack, nor do I have any experience with your ethernet card, but while you wait for additional replies, you can check this HowTo for some info that might help to get you up and running:

How To Create The Sis191 Gigabit Ethernet Driver On Linux 2.6
    oz

Just Joined!
    thanks ozar, now i have conection, i can ping to 192.168.10.1 and gives me echo reply, also i can connect to google but nothing else, any clue?

Just Joined!
    Thats weird you can load google by name....

Can you ping IPs? Like actual internet IPs?

.1 on that segment is a router and nameserver?

Just Joined!
    I read a lot and I'm still in nothing
    I'm starting to think if my ISP have a mac address filter or something like that. but I try whit the -hwaddr option of ifconfig to change the address and... nothing.

Q:If I set correctly all the parameters of my lan connection, does my X applications start to work inmediately? or do I need to do something else? ej: firefox, iceweasel

Weird?

I take it 192.168.10.1 is your router? What if you enter that IP in Firefox? Do you see the web interface?

What if you restart your router and modem (full restart, just pull the plugs for ~20 seconds), does it make a difference?

Try these:
    Code:
    dhcpcd -k eth0       #gives up the dhcp lease
    dhcpcd eth0           #request new dhcp lease
    # Post output here, including an estimation of how long it takes.
    # If no output, then run
    ifconfig
    # Do you have an IP address? Can you ping something?

If all that fails:
    Code:
    cp /etc/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.bak     # backup resolv.conf
    echo " " > /etc/resolv.conf                 # empty resolv.conf
    cat /etc/resolv.conf                           # verify that it's empty
    dhcpcd -k eth0                                  # give up dhcp lease
    dhcpcd eth0                                      # request new dhcp lease
    cat /etc/resolv.conf                           # look at tha nameservers
    # Do you have nameservers again in /etc/resolv.conf?

Post the output of the above commands here. None of these steps actually fixes something. It's just taking all the normally automagic steps manually to see where it starts failing.

Note that if the machine seems to hang on `dhcpcd eth0` (=waiting for a time-out) and you interrupt this with [ctrl]+[c] that the interface goes down. You can bring it back up with `ifconfig eth0 up`.
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by skullus View Post
    I read a lot and I'm still in nothing
    I'm starting to think if my ISP have a mac address filter or something like that. but I try whit the -hwaddr option of ifconfig to change the address and... nothing.

Q:If I set correctly all the parameters of my lan connection, does my X applications start to work inmediately? or do I need to do something else? ej: firefox, iceweasel
    Look, connect the machine directly to your router and run this command:

dhclient

You are clearly not configuring your network options correctly so use a cable and dhcp. Also I think you can use 'netconfig' or 'netcfg' or something to run a menu-driven network setup in a terminal. Set everything to DHCP! BTW... X doesnt depend on internet and I hate to be the one to break it to you but your MAC address is bound to your NIC so its the same in 'win' to quote you. Therefore you ISP isn't filtering you MAC address (HWaddr).

Just Joined!
    first of all, thanks for the replies and forgive me for not start from the very beginning with the problem.
    I'm from a litle town in argentina, and i'm livin in another city, studying and other stuff. But now i'm here in my father's house and surprise... he has internet too.
    so I attempt to connect my computer to the only cable that the isp brougth to this house from a local "cyber-coffee" (without coffee) but i dont know where it comes from. I have no access to the router, switch or misteriousdeviceconected to the other end of the RJ45 cable. then I guess; If I write down all the info from the old pc (only win) connected to the cable and later configure my own (on the windows partition) it would be work. so i did that.

on the paper:
    ip:192.168.10.68
    netmask:255.255.255.0
    gateway:192.168.10.1
    dns 192.168.10.1
    dns 192.168.10.2

but, like all things, it is not so simple, the connection still dont work, so i call a friend and he told me " it can be a mac address problem..." so, as the two pc's hasn't the same mac I went to "start button->control panel->etc" and, in hte properties of my ethernet card, (a f@ck!ng sis 191), i change the value of my hardware address to (alotofhexanumbers) from the old one, and... problem solved
    i have connection on the win partition

the second problem is when i reboot the computer telling lilo i want to start with my precious slack

i do an "ifconfig eth0 up" to correctly set up my connection, and "no such device"

i have to recompile a module, but this is a solved problem

i do a netconfig

and...

I finally set up my eth0, and an "ifconfig eth0" gives me this:

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0a:17:0f:23:b1
    inet addr:192.168.10.68 Bcast:192.168.10.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    inet6 addr: fe80::20a:17ff:fe0f:23b1/64 Scope:Link
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:51 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:9 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:3956 (3.8 KiB) TX bytes:594 (594.0 B)
    Interrupt:19 Base address:0xdead

ok... all the parameters seems to be ok, i think the last line has something wrong in the base address, anyway...the hwaddr is ok because i change it with the
    -hwaddr option of the ifconfig command to the hwaddr of the old one

the /etc/resolv.conf file says:
    search org
    nameserver 192.168.10.1

I'm using static ip, and i can actually ping to the 192.1668.10.1 ip, but if i put this in firefox or konkeror...nothing host unreachable

Q: How can I make a broadcast, to have a remote idea of WTF is happening in the lan?

i have an idea of what is happaning on my slack but a litle experience in networking, please help my in this topic giving me a direction (something to read)

the route command says:

Kernel IP routing table
    Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
    localnet * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
    loopback * 255.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 lo
    default 192.168.10.1 0.0.0.0 UG 1 0 0 eth0

the last line take a litle more time to appear (5 secs)

well, i think that is all, forgive my poor english, and help me please

Oh! All this while I was thinking that it was the same machine, one that connected through Windos but not through Slack. Ok! I understand now.

Yes, it's very possible that this is a MAC address problem. MAC address filtering is one of the easiest and convenient ways to handle access control on a net work. I use it myself and am thus aware of the weak security it provides.

Since it is your fathers connection you are sharing, I guess it's ok to tell you this. But note that MAC address spoofing to connect to the internet over a third party network is illegal in some countries.

Code:
    ifconfig eth0 hw ether ma.ca.dd.re.ss
    EDIT: ROFL I can confirm that this command works for me, as I just triggered the 'self defense mechanism' on my network
    Ooops, luckily I know how to deactivate it
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

Linux Newbie
    out of curiosity, what version of Slack are you running? I had a similar problem with Slack11 and I remember resolving it just by adding my IP address (not the local 192.168.x.x) to /etc/resolv.conf

not sure really if this will help in your case, but it won't cost much to give it a try - just edit /etc/resolv.conf and add the line 'nameserver your-IP-address'

good luck
    If you get on the wrong train all the stations you will come to will be the wrong stations.
    Zen