Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is There a general way to get file type .avi to work in linux. I am currently running slackware 12.0. I tried Kaboodle, Xine, gxine, noatun They all just freeze ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

avi file support on linux

Is There a general way to get file type .avi to work in linux. I am currently running slackware 12.0.
    I tried Kaboodle, Xine, gxine, noatun They all just freeze up more or less. Is there some pluggin or fix that will allow .avi support. I searched the forums but got nothing solid...some suggestions work most dont..

Just Joined!
    down load and install codecs from here LinuxPackages: Download Package

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by alexpmcmurphy View Post
    down load and install codecs from here LinuxPackages: Download Package
    Im getting video on gxine now, but no audio. But gxine seems to be a memory killer, system gets realy slow when opened.

Slackware is a Distro intended to be kept simple by requiring the user to do all of the work on keeping it going and managing installing. If you are new-ish to Linux it may not be the best choice. If gXine is running slow it may mean you have the wrong video card drivers installed.

Just Joined!
    To expand on Bigtom, slackware is DRM'd. I just started slack in 12/08 and just got most of the video/audio stuff ironed out. This guide will answer all your questions. The most important thing i learned is to instal the coecs first, then reinstall the programs so they find them.
    Human Readable - A Full-Featured Multimedia Slackware

Linux User
    You can also have a look at packman:
    PackMan :: Startseite
    a popular repository for most distros.
    On opensuse their packages for kaffeine and k3b/kdvdcreator work well. You also need the w32codecs a couple of others - have a look/search at opensuse for the complete list of files.
    I know it;s rpm, but there must be a slax util that will allow you to use them.

Just Joined!
    much thanks. i will most certainly have a look at these articles.