Find the answer to your Linux question:
upgrading to slack12.2 has resulted in a few unexpected headaches the last one of them is not being able to load any printer (using HP PSC1200 package) during the 'add ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

[SOLVED] hp printer on slack12.2

upgrading to slack12.2 has resulted in a few unexpected headaches the last one of them is not being able to load any printer (using HP PSC1200 package) during the 'add printer class wizard' from the control center - now, i don't know if perhaps this is the right forum to ask about printer installation on Slackware, however I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar inconvenience and could share the solution - although, I've been using Slackware as my 'almost' main OS, i',m not a great file editor and therefore i would be grateful for any suggestions; this is the error msg that i get during the installation wizard:

Unable to load the requested driver:
    /usr/share/cups/model/HP/hp-psc_1200_series-hpijs.ppd.gz(line 35): syntax error, unexpected ':'

i have also tied different driver files i.e. HP_PSC1100/1300/1400 all giving the same error msg, which makes me think that it's unlikely that all files have the same error line

thanks in advance for any suggestions.advice
    If you get on the wrong train all the stations you will come to will be the wrong stations.
    Zen

Just Joined!
    i had to install mine through the cups k>system>cups. It was the only way to get it working properly (hp psc1200)

Hmmm, The control center? I never even noticed you could add printers there

I always open a browser and type this in the address field:
    Code:
    localhost:631
    This gives you the cups interface. I took a look and the psc 1200 is listed.
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Hmmm, The control center? I never even noticed you could add printers there
    yeah thrugh 'control center' then 'peripheral', 'printer' and 'add printer' - however, i know that the printer is listed but it just doesn't work - by the way, would you mind being a little more specific about your method of adding a HP printer through 'opening a browers and typing, localhost:631' ? - i'd be more than happy to give it a try if i know more
    thnks
    If you get on the wrong train all the stations you will come to will be the wrong stations.
    Zen

Quote Originally Posted by operator
    would you mind being a little more specific about your method of adding a HP printer through 'opening a browers and typing, localhost:631' ? - i'd be more than happy to give it a try if i know more
    Yeah sure, but that's about it. Just in Firefox or whichever browser is your favorite, enter localhost:631 in the addressfield. This directs the browser to look at the machine it's installed on rather than to the internet, and more specific to look at port 631. On port 631 there's the cups interface.

overview

Linux Newbie
    thnx very much, I have solved the problem - i guess you never stop learning new stuff every day using linux, that's why i love it - and as always thnx to all users at linux forum
    Zen

Quote Originally Posted by operator
    thnx very much, I have solved the problem - i guess you never stop learning new stuff every day using linux, that's why i love it - and as always thnx to all users at linux forum
    It's true, you never stop learning. It's amazing. And the more you learn, the more interesting the system becomes. Anyway, glad you have it solved