Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I've been happily using the 2.4.26 kernel so far, but I got a new wireless card and need to upgrade to 2.6. Which I tried by doing the following: ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Kernel install problem...

Hi,

I've been happily using the 2.4.26 kernel so far, but I got a new wireless card and need to upgrade to 2.6. Which I tried by doing the following:

1) installpkg kernel-generic-2.6.7-i486-1.tgz
    2) same with the modules/alsa drivers
    3) creating the initrd,
    4) configuring lilo

Now, I've had problems with the 2.6 kernels, but that's another history. My problem is that I tried to go back to the 2.4 kernel while I figure out the issues with the 2.6 kernel, but the following things have stopped working:

1) I have a toshiba laptop, and all the acpi stuff is gone from /proc
    2) sound is broken. modprobe snd-intel8x0 fails, even after doing alsaconf. (
    dmesg shows
    ALSA intel8x0.c:2518: unable to grab IRQ 0
    PCI: No IRQ known for interrupt pin B of device 00:1f.5. Please try using pci=biosirq.

Is there any way to "repair" the kernel by reinstalling it with the CDs? or some other way. I don't quite understand how the installation of the 2.6 kernels affected my 2.4 kernel. Does the installpkg kernel-etc-etc changes the initialization scripts? any ideas?

Thanks
    Carlos

Linux Newbie
    Better way to upgrade the kernel is to compile it from source you will find many documentation in that.Search for schillo's site.When you attempting to install a new kernel always create a backup of the old kernel and the /boot directory.Now get kernel source from slackware second cd and after getting the instructions from schillo build your custom kernel as your needs

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by paulmedic555
    Better way to upgrade the kernel is to compile it from source you will find many documentation in that.Search for schillo's site.When you attempting to install a new kernel always create a backup of the old kernel and the /boot directory.Now get kernel source from slackware second cd and after getting the instructions from schillo build your custom kernel as your needs
    Hi,

Thanks for your answer. I kind of know how to recompile the kernel, but given that the kernel (w/acpi) that came with the cd's was working just fine I was wondering how could I just reinstall that one.