Find the answer to your Linux question:
INIT: cannot execute "/sbin/agetty" INIT: id "c6" respawning to fast: disabled for 5 minutes this is a copy/paste of a couple of the lines in the error message i got. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Boot Failure

INIT: cannot execute "/sbin/agetty"

INIT: id "c6" respawning to fast: disabled for 5 minutes

this is a copy/paste of a couple of the lines in the error message i got.
    System froze when i plugged in audio jack, so i punched reset on the case.
    when i rebooted i got a series of errors. the important part from what i have googled looks like the above..cannot login..dont know who to boot from dvd i used to install slack 12. if i manage to boot from the dvd then what files to configure if i can acces them...i know u may want to see the entire message..but still working on a way to transport that log to my windows box...when a distro is classified as stable, what does that mean?..Question is it safer if i just learn and do everything from bash

Just Joined!
    For future protection, if a reinstall is necessary, what is a good "partition setup" in order to be able to login in events of boot failure on regular partition..for example Ii usually leave 5G free on any windows box when installing, so i load windows there(when regular booting fails) try to fix damages then load from regular boot partition. I usually use just swap and root for linux partitions.

I always have two partitions of 10GB for a Linux / partition. Add a little swap and the rest goes under /home.

But you can always boot of the install cd/dvd and manually mount your partitions to repair them. But I guess this is the difficult part. What's wrong? From googling your problem, it seems you have an error in inittab. But there's not a whole lot I can make of that. You say this happened after you plugged in an audio jack? Why, that is just weird :s

Do you boot to textual mode or to graphical mode?
    It may be worth a shot to boot to textual mode, or to single user mode even, and see if that works.

At the lilo prompt, press [tab] to append options to the kernel. Add a 3, this tells the kernel to override the initdefault in inittab and stop at runlevel 3. Or even, add single. The system will try to boot into single user mode.

Quote Originally Posted by ian4frost
    Question is it safer if i just learn and do everything from bash
    Well, yes
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

Just Joined!
    So what happens to the other / partition, assuming only one can work at a time? If it is dormant can it be activated at boot time to fix problems?

Booting from the dvd im not very familiar with. It usually just proceeds like an installation. I dont know the commands to invoke at that point to boot off the cd and not dev/hda1. I usually type setup or cfdisk for installation, i will have to google that part.

Weird is correct it also froze a couple times before. One instance i held the power button down to force shutdown. When i booted it said something like i tried to kill init and stalled during boot. I reinstalled.
    I usually boot to a textual mode and run startx to get to kde. I dont mind the reinstall but adjusting personal settings takes time and i constantly loose all bookmarks and academic data.
    On a windows box when booting fails i just change disk to slave and mount on another windows box to atleast allow data to be saved.
    The only problem i have with staying in gui is; it takes very long to master and simple task like playing music is kind of complicated.
    Its seems i have no choice, I hate freeze-ups.

I don't know a good way to use a Redmond system as an analogy. But when I started with Linux I frequently made mistakes until it struck me how it all worked. You know, there are no drives in Linux, only devices, filesystems and mountpoints.

There is no / partition. There is a / device. Which device that is, depends on choice. You can change it. When you boot of the DVD, the DVD becomes the /. The partitions on the hard drive are just that, partitions on the hard drive. You can mount the partition that you normally boot off as a subdirectory of your / (which is your DVD). You can access it, and change things, but it wont affect your currently active system, as the files of your install are now not on the / device.

To make matters more complex, you can (and sometimes must) chroot to a different point in the filesystem. It's a bit like juggling.

This means also that you don't have to bother with slave and master and such, or with multiple disks even. And doing backups of your hard drive while you are booted of the DVD if you have something like an USB stick shouldn't be too hard.

___

As far as your GUI question, obviously in this day and age using the GUI is not a sin (how else would you run Firefox ). But it is adding an extra layer over the system. For some tasks the TUI is far far better suited, but for everyday tasks like watching youtube or playing music the GUI is better.

___

No, what is more the problem is that you seem to be having errors. And as I read it, they are caused by unclean reboots. It is not supposed to do that. Hmmm... what filesystem do you use?

It's not a solution, but it is a thought to backup all your data and reinstall. Yes I know, saying that is like cursing inside a church, but since you don't have a bootable install and have had problems before I think it may be a good idea to run some tests on a clean install. Before you run into problems, so to speak.
    Among other good options, I must say I never had any problems with ReiserFS as filesystem. I'm not saying that your choice of filesystem is the problem, but when unclean reboots cause fatal errors it is something that crosses the mind.
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI