Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm having trouble with slackpkg wanting to replace kde4 packages with kde3 ones. What is the right way to setup slackpkg for use with testing/kde4? Would adding kde3 to /etc/slackpkg/blacklist ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Slackpkg and KDE4

I'm having trouble with slackpkg wanting to replace kde4 packages with kde3 ones.

What is the right way to setup slackpkg for use with testing/kde4?

Would adding
    kde3
    to /etc/slackpkg/blacklist do the trick?

Change the download priority in /etc/slackpkg/slackpkg.conf moving "testing" to the head of the list?

Change dialog interface behavior to have all packages unselected by default with
    ONOFF=off
    and being "very carefull" what you allow to upgrade?

Welcome to the forums!

I guess adding kde3 to the blacklist wont work, because kde3 related packages are in the system as just plain 'kde'.

But if you run kde4, I guess it wont be too much work to blacklist the whole of 'kde' and upgrade kde4 related packages manually??
    Code:
    cat `which slackpkg`
    shows that the blacklist matches a pattern with grep, so kde3 will not be a matched pattern.

Unselecting everything and carefully choosing which to install is a good alternative, but perhaps running slackpkg in 'download mode' and removing everything kde3 related and installing manually (just installpkg *tgz in the right directory) may be easier.
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

Just Joined!

Solution?

So, maybe the thing to do is to come up with a complete list of kde3 packages, possibly from the kde3 uninstall script (testing/pacages/kde4/remove-kde3.sh) and throw those into /etc/slackpkg/blacklist

amarok kdeaccessibility kdeaddons kdeadmin kdeartwork kdebase kdebindings kdeedu kdegames kdegraphics kdelibs kdemultimedia kdenetwork kdepim kdesdk kdetoys kdeutils kdevelop kdewebdev knemo koffice ktorrent

arts qca qca-tls qt

kde-i18n koffice-l10n

Edit: also add
    kdeedu kdegames

Then one could easily update the bulk of the packages using
    slackpkg update
    slackpkg install-new
    slackpkg upgrade-all
    and just do the kde4 packages manually.