Find the answer to your Linux question:
HI, I'm currently using a laptop model (Acer Aspire 5050) I've downloaded the backtrack2 which can be run by VMplayer. After i instaleld everything, only problem is Backtrack2 would not ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Backtrack2 Wireless Card please help

HI, I'm currently using a laptop model (Acer Aspire 5050)

I've downloaded the backtrack2 which can be run by VMplayer.

After i instaleld everything, only problem is

Backtrack2 would not detect my Atheros 5005G wireless adaptor.

I've read a previous post on another user's problem so

i've did what the moderator asked and please help me what i should do...

Linux Guru
    VMWare (like almost all virtualization technologies) does not pass the hosts' physical HW into the virtual machine. If you did, the virtual machine would be tied to the hardware of the host...which defeats the point of virtualization.

Look at the lspci...your laptop doesn't have a VGA chip that's a "VMWare SVGA II" adapter. And your laptop's NIC is not an "AMD 79c970" chip.

Your virtual machine will not have direct access/control of the laptop's wireless card.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by HROAdmin26 View Post
    VMWare (like almost all virtualization technologies) does not pass the hosts' physical HW into the virtual machine. If you did, the virtual machine would be tied to the hardware of the host...which defeats the point of virtualization.

Look at the lspci...your laptop doesn't have a VGA chip that's a "VMWare SVGA II" adapter. And your laptop's NIC is not an "AMD 79c970" chip.

Your virtual machine will not have direct access/control of the laptop's wireless card.
    so,, what should i do then??

i thought some people used VM ware to run BackTrack2 and

be able to hack into wireless networks...

Quote Originally Posted by lilra01

It's just, the problem's not with Backtrack. It's with the VM.

What you can do, is in the VMWare console/interface/menu/thingy look under settings, network, preferences or configuration. It should have an option that allows you to choose which interfaces the guest is allowed to access. I have no idea how the VMWare menu system works or looks like, but I expect it to be a setting.
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by lilra01 View Post

The virtual machine will see a wired NIC, that is all. If you have more questions about VMWare, you can start with the manual.

What you can do, is in the VMWare console/interface/menu/thingy look under settings, network, preferences or configuration. It should have an option that allows you to choose which interfaces the guest is allowed to access. I have no idea how the VMWare menu system works or looks like, but I expect it to be a setting.
    Negative. VMWare will connect the VM to one of 3 "types" of networks (bridged, NAT, host-only), but the VM will see only a wired virtual NIC.

** And FYI, the host's wireless NIC cannot be used as a "bridged" network in VMWare.

Quote Originally Posted by HROAdmin26
    Negative. VMWare will connect the VM to one of 3 "types" of networks (bridged, NAT, host-only), but the VM will see only a wired virtual NIC.

** And FYI, the host's wireless NIC cannot be used as a "bridged" network in VMWare.
    I stand corrected

Thank you, sorry, never mind me then.... carry on
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

Quote Originally Posted by lilra01 View Post

Most people run BackTrack as a live CD. It makes it easy to switch your wireless interface between managed and monitor mode.

BTW, BackTrack is now up to version 3. You might want to consider updating as there may be better support for your particular wireless card.