Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
k3b works awsome but Ii have to log out of a user and log into root and x to burn. I changed /dev/sr0 to 777 but still will only let ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

k3b as root

k3b works awsome but Ii have to log out of a user and log into root and x to burn. I changed /dev/sr0 to 777 but still will only let me burn as root. If it can't be fixed I can live with it since it does work, but if it is an easy fix I would sure do it.

Thanks
    Mike

Are you running deprecated devfs or udev? If you're running udev, just add your user to the disk group and all should be well.

If you're on devfs still, I don't see why that chmod wouldn't work, unless that's the wrong device.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

I am not sure what you mean?

Linux Newbie
    Try that alt-f2 :kdesu k3bsetup and change the permissions

That worked thank you
    This brings me to another question.
    It burns data fine but when I try to burn mp3 it errors and says either the media or the burner can't burn at <whatever > speed. I even tried auto and that errored out. then Just for experiment sakes. I burned data and it burned fine a 24x. Is there a license problem with burning MP3's or does k3b just not do it or do I need to configure something?

Thanks,
    Mike

Just Joined!
    I have a similar problem,I can burn everything with root, but when i try to burn as another user I can't open the device.

It says to run k3bsetup2, but when i select to run k3bsetup from the Settings menu, I get:
    "Could not find kdesu to run K3bSetup with root privileges. Please run it manually as root."

Then I tried going to the /opt/kde/bin dir and run ./k3bsetup. I get this error:
    "./k3bsetup: line 20: kdesu: command not found"

Any ideas?

info: i'm using slackware 10.0, don't know if that's the problem.

The reason you are getting that error is because you are trying to run k3b as root through a terminal won't work you will need to log into X as root to run k3b as root.

I ran k3bsetup2 also and changed the permissions and it worked but my burner is also my dvd player and after changing the permissions xine quit working and I couldn't watch movies anymore, so rather than breaking it I just log into x as root if I want to burn something and fixed my xine. I am sure there is a better way of doing this, but I use my laptop for work and don't want to take the chance of breaking it anymore.

Mike

Just Joined!
    I don't think that's the problem, I can record everything (as root) even if i run k3b from a terminal.
    But I only get the error when i run k3bsetup. I think i don't have kdesu, can you tell me what package I have to install to get kdesu??

Sorry, I don't use kdesu so I can't help you there. I am not even familiar with what it actually is.

Just Joined!
    kdesu is a KDE program to enable you to run a program as root.

For example, 'kdesu konqueror'.

This will run the konqueror web browser as root user. It should display a dialog box in KDE requesting your password, but be warned there is a bug in one of the versions of this program that will not accept your password even if it is correct. This is a known bug related to a particular version of the kdesu program.

I also am having a problem with k3bsetup in k3b when running as normal user. I even done a search on my filesystem for k3bsetup but have found nothing !!! I typed 'find / -iname *k3bsetup*' with no results. Where is k3bsetup ????

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast