Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have just installed Slackware on a VM and have managed to get Xorg, SFCE and Sea Monkey running In fact I'm posting this from Sea Monkey running on Slackware ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Either at home or at work or down the pub

Slackware: need some good resources

I have just installed Slackware on a VM and have managed to get Xorg, SFCE and Sea Monkey running In fact I'm posting this from Sea Monkey running on Slackware . What I am looking for is a good resource on Slackware run levels, services and how to get rid of everything I don't need. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Also, it seems that the Slackware package tools don't do dependency handling, is there a good resource about handling these or am I worrying about nothing here?

I'm sure this will be the first of many silly questions
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Know your classics:
    Slackware Linux Essentials

Maybe useful:
    From Power Up To Bash Prompt

Very good series of mini howto's
    Shilo is a geek

Slackware packaging:
    Slacky - The Italian Slackware Community - Home
    LinuxPackages: View
    Welcome to JustLinux: Wanna learn Linux?
    SlackBuild Scripts - SlackWiki
    Index of /~alien/slackbuilds

Additional stuff:
    Slackware Linux 101
    The Perfect Desktop - Slackware 12 | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials
    How To Properly Set Up Slackware Linux

This one is in Dutch, but seemed too good to leave out. Perhaps some promising young geek can get it translated through an online translator of some sort.
    Het init process van Slackware
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

oz
    forum.guy
    Elija, I changed the title on this thread because it was a bit confusing having two of them titled the same, with both being started by you. Hope you don't mind.

As it turns out, Freston has already mentioned the resources that I was going to suggest. I've not run Slack for several years now, but liked it very much. Hope you continue to have lots of fun with it!
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    Elija, I changed the title on this thread because it was a bit confusing having two of them titled the same, with both being started by you. Hope you don't mind.

As it turns out, Freston has already mentioned the resources that I was going to suggest. I've not run Slack for several years now, but liked it very much. Hope you continue to have lots of fun with it!
    No worries Ozar, your title's better anyway

I'm currently reading the classics as provided by Freston. I think that will take a while... I've already learned a few things.... so thanks Freston for those
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?

The Fifth Continent

oz
    forum.guy
    ...another good place to find helpful information on each new release of Slackware that I didn't see mentioned above is within all the various text files that are included right on the Slackware CD/DVD itself, such as the Changes_And_Hints.txt file.

The last time I installed Slack, I ran into some issues and couldn't find the answers online, but they were right there on the CD.
    oz

That reminds me, there's a lot of info under /usr/doc, with /usr/doc/Linux-HOWTOs deserving a special mention. Documents there cover a wide range of subjects, anything from how to hook up your coffee machine to your Linux box, to how to encourage women in Linux and your regular stuff as well. You wont regret looking through there.

It does require the installation of the f/ package series.
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

Quote Originally Posted by Freston View Post
    That reminds me, there's a lot of info under /usr/doc, with /usr/doc/Linux-HOWTOs deserving a special mention. Documents there cover a wide range of subjects, anything from how to hook up your coffee machine to your Linux box, to how to encourage women in Linux and your regular stuff as well. You wont regret looking through there.

It does require the installation of the f/ package series.
    Yep - they're installed and in use
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?

The Fifth Continent