Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi, i have been using linux for a month or 2 now and i think i have come along quite a bit but still a bit edgey on things, i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

lilo problems

hi, i have been using linux for a month or 2 now and i think i have come along quite a bit but still a bit edgey on things, i had converted my server from windows 2003 to fedora core which i think went prety well and although i hadnt finished fully setting it up but from what i had done (seting up as a PDC, web server, DNS but still having problems, DHCP and a cuple of other thing) i was pleased with fedora. but on my test bed machine i was still trying difrent distros, and then i tried slackware and was very pleased, in fact i decided to use slackware on my server insted of fedora, which i did. At first i had a litle trouble geting it to detect the scsi disk at istalation but i managed with a difrent kernal, in my server i have 1 8GB scsi hard disk for the OS and 2 80GB hard disks for all the other data, i managed to get it to install to the scsi disk with no problems UNTIL, i tried to boot it up, dont get me wrong i arnt saying it is slackware thats the problem it is probably something i have done wrong. this is what happens when i boot up it will go through bios and then come up with a boot failyer, i have changed loads of difrent boot options in bios so it will try to boot of difrent drives and the most success i had is when i set it up to boot from the scsi disk which is to me any way the logical option, any way when i booted from scsi i actualy got lilo 'BUT' it gave me the option of booting to windows! ther isnt a windows partition or os on the server and it also gave me the option to booting to linux, which ever option i select it doest work, when i select linux at produses the number 99 loads of times and then nothing happens and windows nothing happens. Can any one please sugest a way to help fix this? by either re installing or maybe using knoppix to boot up and emend the lilo.conf file or some thing along these lines. but wait ther is another mystry. i said when i boot to the scsi disk lilo comes up, well i mean it sometimes comes up it will only come up sometimes. i will be very greatfull for any ideas. i will have to go nopw as i am curently am at college and have a lesson in a minuet.

thanks in advance for any light shed on this subject but i am at a dead end on this so fare.

Just Joined!
    so confused here, can you list the partitions that you have your hard drive?

Just Joined!
    right, im back out of lesson agian,

right, one the scsi hard drive i have one ext3 partition and a swap partition and on both ide disks i have one big ext3 partition on each disk. i have installed slackware onto the scsi disk and although it is installed on the first partition it is on device /dev/sda2, and i think but i may be wrong but i think lilo is on the master boot record.

i do have an idea but so far i can only get through half of it, i thought about booting off the slackware cd and running cfdisk and marking the scsi disk as boot and the other 2 disks making sure boot isnt marked, wich i did try but it doesnt list the scsi disk even when i give the scsi kernal options. but that doesnt work

my other idea was also to boot from the slackware CD and give the options of somthing like

Code:
    root=/dev/sda2/scsi.d initrd ro
    that isnt the exact code because i cant remember what it is as im am sat at a crapy win2k machine at collage until i get home i couldnt tell you the exact code, however this looked like it was going to work as it started booting the kernal and then when i thought it had worked it gave out ane invalide kernal error or argument, well some thing like that!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Question booting from scsi problem

I`ve got kind of the same problem, Installation of Debian,Knoppix,Fedora, or any other flavor goes perfect, but booting doesnt, i just get the errormessage `no system disk` my card is adaptec2940UW and if i boot from another (ide)drive my scsidrives are fully readable .
    Please help me anyone who knows.

999999 on the screen did u install slack good ??? did u install it on win particion ??? if u not put first slack cd boot it up then type pkgtool and there is option for lilo config it ....