Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have an issue with software raid and Slackware. I just upgraded to 12..2 from 10.2 and I want to make sure I get it right this time. I created ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Software Raid

I have an issue with software raid and Slackware. I just upgraded to 12..2 from 10.2 and I want to make sure I get it right this time.

I created a raidtab file with two drives acting as my raid - /dev/sda1 and /dev/sdb1. The issue came about when my computer rebooted due to power failure and I had a thumbdrive plugged into a USB port. Upon reboot, the thumbdrive was given the /dev/sda1 ID and the raid rebuilt using the thumb drive and the first hard drive instead of two hard drives.

I have been reading on how to assign a label to an /dev/md0 in order to prevent this from happening, but even if I label the /dev/md0 won't the same thing happen again if raidtab is run during the next reboot. Will the label of the /dev/md0 matter if the /dev/md0 is created with the thumbdrive again? Is the raidtab file read during each reboot (maybe I don't understand how the system handles the raid after the initial build)?

Is it possible to label the individual partitions of the hard drives and use the labels in the raidtab file instead of device names?

Thanks for any help,

Bob

You may be better off if you don't use /dev/sda type references to drives in raidtab, but /dev/disk/by-id/

You can find out which is which with this command
    Code:
    ls -l /dev/disk/by-id/
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

Just Joined!
    Thanks - I'll try that. I didn't know about disk-id.

Bob