Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
What is the slowest computer anyone has installed slackware 10. I have an old laptop P2 233 64megs of ram. Is it worth it? Mike...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

P2 233 64megs ram

What is the slowest computer anyone has installed slackware 10. I have an old laptop P2 233 64megs of ram. Is it worth it?
    Mike

Linux Newbie
    Im running gentoo on a PII @ 266 mhz and 374 megs of ram. It runs faster than on my amd k-6 @ 522. Isnt that strange? EXACT same setup....same harddrive... I use it for a server and a GUI (kahakai.)
    Powered by Gentoo
    never ever ever use the hardened option in make.conf!

Re: P2 233 64megs ram

Quote Originally Posted by adrenaline
    What is the slowest computer anyone has installed slackware 10. I have an old laptop P2 233 64megs of ram. Is it worth it?
    Mike
    I have slack9 on a P100 with 16M of RAM. It crawls.

64M of RAM is enough to install gentoo, therefore it is more than enough to install/run slack. You may even be able to run a lite gui (kahakai, flux) on it with the right tweaking.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Do you think it will be useable? I installed mandrake 72 on it and it was usable, but Red Hat 72 forget it. I notice on my girthy stuff slack runs faster than anything I have tried yet including XP. That is why I thought maybe I would be able to do something with my slow laptop. Just about ready for the scrap heap.

Linux Newbie
    I've installed Slack10 on a friends machine recently. A P2(not sure of the clock) with 64MB ram. Lightning? Not hardly. Usable? Very. And that running Dropline Gnome.
    It's faster than I expected when runing FluxBox.
    OH NOOOOO!!!!!! You did it the way I said?

Re: P2 233 64megs ram

Quote Originally Posted by adrenaline
    Mike
    It's a while ago I put Slackware , think it was 8, on an old Hewlett Packard laptop, which I had on loan 100Mhz and 64 Mb of ram.

I tried several other distributions and all failed to install, stumped me at first, the answer was lack of ram. So if you want to install Linux on an old box I would suggest you try an older distribution rather than the latest ones. Horses for courses memory was the limiting factor.

I think I am going to try it. Thanks for the honest opinions I will let you all know how it turns out.
    thanks
    Mike

Linux Newbie
    I use Slackware 10.0 with KDE on my PII 350 box with 160MB ram.
    It is easy to use. If you add some other ram like 128MB you can easily use it.
    Just a Newbie....Looking 4 Info....

Ya unfortunately I am stuck with 64m ram. My laptop (DEL CPI) uses proprietery ram and now ram for it is so expensive it isn't worth upgrading. I just thought that it is sitting there being old; it would be fun to do something with it.

Just Joined!
    I use slackware 9.0 on my Pentium mmx 166 64 mb ram... no GUI but i dont need one...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast