Find the answer to your Linux question:
Well I'm helping a friend of mine install Slackware 12.2 on his Vanilla flavored Dell something-or-other. We had a hell of a time with it too! Really, finding the hard ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Lilo and the Unusual Harddrive device

Well I'm helping a friend of mine install Slackware 12.2 on his Vanilla flavored Dell something-or-other.

We had a hell of a time with it too! Really, finding the hard drive device located in /dev/cciss/c0d0 was something I'd never seen before.

At anyrate, we got Slackware to go through it's normal installation cycle, until we got to the configuration part of the install where we received an error message about lilo unable to install in /dev/sda or something (/dev/sda was non-existent)

I was rushing and didn't give it any thought until we had *finished* the installation process and rebooted. Then we ran into the grub prompt.

I'm rather stumped. How can we get lilo to boot the correct drive?
    Is there something we can do inside the grub prompt to boot Slackware and then reconfigure lilo.conf, reinstall, and then try to reboot?

Linux Guru
    The cciss driver is for Compaq/HP Smart Array controllers. Your friend's system is not a Dell (or else this card has been transplanted into it.)

You can boot using a Live CD/USB and edit your boot menus/options. You could also install Grub instead of LILO.

Then we ran into the grub prompt.

I'm rather stumped. How can we get lilo to boot the correct drive?
    You are getting GRUB prompt it means Slackware installer has installed GRUB Boot Loader instead of Lilo. Have you tried to re-install GRUB?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Well I know it tried to install Lilo.
    When we were first installing Slackware, and after it had installed all the packages and moved on to the configuration before the first boot, it asked to configure Lilo.
    So Lilo installed.

However, it gave an error and said it tried to install on /dev/sda but couldn't because /dev/sda doesn't exist.

So, when the machine boots, it goes to a prompt that looks like this

Code:
           [ Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported.   For
             the   first   word,  TAB  lists  possible  command
             completions.  Anywhere else TAB lists the possible
             completions of a device/filename. ]

grub>
    You can see what this looks like in a terminal by entering in

~$ grub

Execute this at grub> prompt :
    Code:
    find /boot/grub/stage1
    If you get "Error 15: File not found", try the following:
    Code:
    find /grub/stage1
    Using this information, set the root device (fill in X,Y with whatever the find command returned):
    Code:
    root (hdX,Y)
    kernel /vmlinuz ro root=/dev/sda1
    boot
    In case it doesn't work, post the output of find commands here.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

??? I don't get it? Grub? Slack doesn't do grub? Or is that new?

Anyway, I suggest you play with the install CD a while, it's got quite a few toys on board for pre-install tasks. And try to find out manually which drive is which, because by the looks of it, it is rather confusing. But a vanilla flavored Dell isn't something exotic. It should work, either the HD is /dev/hda or /dev/sda (or something to that effect).

Can you give some more info on what you tried already? It could equally be something small or a faulty drive from my perspective.
    For example, if you don't feed any arguments to cfdisk, it'll try to partition /dev/hda. If the target drive is anything else, you need to specify it. I'm not saying that this is the problem, but something as silly as that can really trow you off track sometimes.
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

Linux Newbie

Don't be grubby

Um, it sounds like you installed the packages, you just can't find the boot sectors. If that's true you don't need to reinstall,you just need to edit /etc/lilo.conf.
    The problem here is you don't know the path to the active partition so what I suggest is
    run the install program as if you were going into setup. Instead run cfdisk, get the path to the hard drives active partition. Then reboot the machine and at the boot prompt, choose one of the kernels off the install cd and direct the kernel to mount the drive you found with cfdisk.
    something like root = /dev/sddc/XhdZ (whatever cfdisk told you the hardware path was).
    If you can do that, you'll be able to mount the file system and edit /etc/lilo. conf to point the loader at the init tree in the boot directory. Check /etc/fstab to make sure it has a rational path to the mount point and if it does you should be able to reboot normally and log into the system.
    Grub is coming up because lilo failed to find a bootable slice, it's just gives you a second bite at the apple when Lilo goes ballls up.I wouldn't rely on grub to boot this guys machine in perpetuity, there are reasons it was replaced by lilo (other than the snazzy splash screen)