Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've noticed that the default slackware installation in itself is quite harddrive-consuming. What steps can I take to clean it? I've noticed that there are a lot of installation files ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

monitoring disk usage in slackware.

I've noticed that the default slackware installation in itself is quite harddrive-consuming.
    What steps can I take to clean it? I've noticed that there are a lot of installation files in /tmp - I removed them. I also used 'du' to scan the system but couldn't find a culprit. Does slackware create any cache or something that keeps the system growing?

thanks

Well, the easiest way to do what you want is to become an expert in Linux system setup and maintenance and install only the packages you know you really need.

If you are more like the rest of us, well, the full install is most convenient. With a full install you have the least problems and a system that works. Although it is possible to take package sets out during install. Only the a/ series is mandatory, the rest is optional.
    Also, you can remove packages manually if you want to free some space. I have found that with a 10GB partition dedicated to Slack you never have to worry about disk space. On smaller systems I look more carefully at what I install, but that is time consuming.

Anyway, /var/log may grow in size a bit, quite a bit if something is wrong.
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

Linux Newbie
    thanks for your reply.
    I guess I'll have to go through all the packages and get rid of some of them.
    I've counted 12 media players (I'll make do with amarok/mplayer)

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close