Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm currently using a dual boot of slackware and windows vista. There is a problem with the internet. I use dhcpcd eth0 to connect to the internet, I'm in college ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problem with internet, slackware vista dual boot

I'm currently using a dual boot of slackware and windows vista. There is a problem with the internet. I use dhcpcd eth0 to connect to the internet, I'm in college and that's the only option.

The thing is that it happens only after I boot into windows and then shut it down. Once I shut it down and boot into linux, the internet won't work. I have to turn off the computer for around six hours, and only then will it work.
    I have no trouble accessing the local ftp, or other local sites on the intranet on slackware. The problem is with things on the outside, like Google. I've changed the settings on the browser to use a proxy (given to us by the college), so that I can browse, but it just won't. It happens if I have booted into windows and then restart the computer on slackware. Curiously all the intranet sites work. There are no problems on windows, if I am using slackware and then boot into windows there are no problems.

Output of ifconfig -a is

Code:
    eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:1f:c6:67:a6:59
              inet addr:172.16.19.31  Bcast:172.16.19.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
              inet6 addr: fe80::21f:c6ff:fe67:a659/64 Scope:Link
              UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
              RX packets:777 errors:12 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:12
              TX packets:58 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
              RX bytes:94168 (91.9 KiB)  TX bytes:8396 (8.1 KiB)
              Interrupt:20 Base address:0xdead

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
              inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
              inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
              UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
              RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
              RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
    If I turn off the computer for six hours and then boot into linux and try the same thing, everything will be fine and there will be no errors, in the eth0 section. I really need some help badly.

Linux Newbie
    [
    Quote Originally Posted by jobleep View Post
    The thing is that it happens only after I boot into windows and then shut it down. Once I shut it down and boot into linux, the internet won't work. I have to turn off the computer for around six hours, and only then will it work.
    Sounds like a sec token problem. Does the slackbox not pull an IP when it boots up? if you ipconfig or netstat, is the ip address in the report.
    Also...do you have a router between you and the network?

Just Joined!
    I had just slackware installed for the last few months. But I had to get windows for some other things... I had no problems when slackware ran alone.

Ipconfig and netstat on windows say that everything is fine, and it is, everything works fine. It's just that if I now turn it off and say reboot it in linux, the internet won't work. I'll have to wait for six hours with the computer turned off, and then boot into linux.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    I had just slackware installed for the last few months. But I had to get windows for some other things... I had no problems when slackware ran alone.

Ipconfig and netstat on windows say that everything is fine, and it is, everything works fine. It's just that if I now turn it off and say reboot it in linux, the internet won't work. I'll have to wait for six hours with the computer turned off, and then boot into linux.
    There isn't anything happening on your side over the six hours, Jo. The linux box polled IP, its found the DHCP server and the gateway, it's ready to go. Your not being allowed to pass packets across the switch for six hours, probably because your machine can't get a sec token from the server, it already has one as far as the server is concerned, though since that token was handed to the windows box, the linux box isn't aware of it. The XP box will only stop for a bad sec token if you (the sysadmin) make it stop, the linux box plays by the rules.
    By the way, are you going through a router? If you are, resetting the private network gateway (your router) will fix this.
    The other thing you want to check is are you pulling the same IP every time or is your ip changing on the reboot.
    So two thing. Do you have a router. do you always pull the same IP?

Just Joined!
    Well, I'm not going through a router, I mean I just plug the computer into the wall... yes, it pulls the same IP every time.

Just Joined!
    But then why does the intranet work fine?

Linux Newbie
    But then why does the intranet work fine?
    Now your thinking like I think.
    Q1: Can I make a port. An interface other machines on a network can identify and reach?
    Yes
    Q2: Are my packets correctly formatted?
    Yes
    Q3: Can I find my local gateway? The connection to other subnets in my domain
    Yes
    Q4: Can I gain access to the internet through my network switch (the smart routers that sit between your sub net and the world wide web?
    Yes, but you must wait six hours to do begin....
    Q5 Why? <---this is your question

I'm guessing IpSec because there isn't much that's going to stop you past Q3 except IPsec. The internal routers let you pass packets, it's only the internet router who wont work with you. The telltale sign is the time lag...six hours...either a network switch is set to flush it's iptable every six hours and that's why it suddenly shows you some love, or Ipsec wont give you a new lease until the proscribed issue time...six hours from now.
    Give your network admin an email and explain your problem, he can tell you what has to be done to fix this and I'll be happy to help you do it.

Just Joined!
    Well, I'm going to try this before anything else, and then tell you how it works out. The system here is that we have to register our mac addresses, and then get our connections going. So what I've done is that I've changed the mac address of my card in the rc.inet1.conf file, and registered that address, I guess that that should make it work right? I'll see if the net begins to work, I'll have to wait for a bit though...

Just Joined!
    Here's a twist... I just turned the machine off for around about 6 hours, I didn't have to use it... I logged into linux and the net was fine, then afterwards. So I decided to do a little experiment, I pulled out the ethernet cable and rebooted into windows, all this time the cable was not connected to the computer, I pulled it out while on linux. Then I rebooted back into slackware and the problem started again. No internet, only intranet. This hasn't happened with any other distro, only slack. I guess that there must be a way to 'reset' the lan card or something (I'm a zilch at networking, for the time being at least...). Any ideas??

Linux Newbie
    If you type "dmesg | grep -i eth0 " it will print out information in Dmesg about the port. It'll look something like this
    Code:
    eth0: VIA Rhine II at 0xf6001000, xx.xx.xx.xx.xx.xx, IRQ 23.
    eth0: MII PHY found at address 1, status 0x786d advertising 01e1 Link 45e1.
    eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0x45E1
    eth0: no IPv6 routers present