Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi ppl, I am trying to resurect an old machine for my brother to browse the internet and watch utube vids, i have 4 or 5 machines to choose from, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question failed install vector 5.9 light

Hi ppl,

I am trying to resurect an old machine for my brother to browse the internet and watch utube vids, i have 4 or 5 machines to choose from, well mainboards.

I am not managing to make it so i thought i would ask for help.

The one next to me failing to boot up is a 1.1 duron, (the most powerfull) with a 2500MB weston digital drive and 2x (128 + 64MB) sticks of pc133.

I thought i had installed it but it came up with the error like;

Something went wrong, don't panic!

it also offered some command line apps, i tryed the one with help in and recognised even less of the apps so rebooted.

I am not totally sure of the partitioning i have done so i will run that by you first if i may.

right, i created 3 partitions but now going back in there are only two showing? I am in parted that i have chosen re-running the install process. I did not use this last time i am just looking to find what went wrong. and it does not show the type82 hda5 swap file i made following the instructions. It only shows 2 partitions;

/dev/hda1 Type=ext2 Size=1407 Unused=0
    /dev/hda2 Type=ext2 Size472 Unused=448

The sizes i chose were 1500MB hda1, type 83, primary, ext2 (stability and space)
    512MB hda5, type 82, primary, ext2
    5**(whatever was left) hda2, type83, primary, ext2
    not sure weather i had to choose a ext for the swap as that bit came after (multiple choice type of questions).

I should probably start again, would someone please give me a bit more info on what to type in for my drive, remember this is only a browser but it needs to play utube, flash 9 it used to be absolutly nothing else is needed seriously.

btw, i have lost the ability to play utube on my fedora8 and cannot fix it even with posting for help on fedora forum, so i have not used it for quite a while and i am obviously not to smart so please consider this with your replies if any.

note sig is not relevant, and must be 3 years out of date. lol
    nick
    Last edited by linix; 03-27-2009 at 07:18 PM. Reason: out of date sig

Just Joined!
    You probably still could create the swap space without having to modify the partitions, but just in case post the output of "fdisk -l" without the quotes...

I haven't used vector in a while, and I'm a bit new myself, but there are a few things that maybe I can help you with...

<Edit> After rereading what you wrote, it doesn't look like much was installed...You might try again...However, also post the output of "df -h", if the partitions are mounted.

Just Joined!
    Without knowing much about your problem, it seems that those partitions you have are extremely small.
    I've never used vector so maybe it's an extremely minimal install.
    But I can't imagine trying to install a current OS on a 1.5GB partition without stripping it to its bare essentials.
    Which it doesn't sound like you're doing.

Also, slack based distros really aren't meant for people who don't know anything about Linux.
    I'd suggest going with a more user friendly distro since it's gonna be on a machine for someone else to use.
    Something like Mint or Kubuntu, or even better a distro meant for a NetBook type of install since the machine has very limited resources.

You can try a Mepis AntiX 8 Base install. Here are some links to get you started if you wish.

antiX-forum &bull; View topic - Rolling my own

Index of /download/released/AntiX

Main Page - antiX
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    It's been my experience that setting up linux on a machine that's meant for someone else with no linux experience is just a bad idea.

I've tried many times to turn people on to linux.
    With the exception of 1 person who ended up loving Mint, all those attempts have failed.

It ends up being a HUGE headache for me because, naturally, they call me for every little thing.

You'd think that if the machine is being used only for web browsing that it shouldn't be too problematic.
    The problem is that even when people are only browsing the web they also want to listen to music and do other web "related" stuff.

For most people, using a computer hinges on them seeing the same things whenever they sit down to it.
    Many people don't have a broad understanding of how a computer works so they learn to do certain things by way of rote memorization.
    So when you present them with a screen that is completely unfamiliar, they're immediately intimidated.
    I know so many people who don't know how to do simple file and folder operations so they save everything to the desktop to prevent them from having to traverse the filesystem.
    They also think that when saving a file, the location that the save dialog opens into is the computer saying that the file HAS to go there.

Just Joined!
    Hi all,

and thank you for you're reply's. I have not had the time to plug that pc back in yet to have another try as i have spent my available time reading all my old suse books to get exact instructions but i cannot get a example, however i have realised that i will not need a /home partition so i can just make a 512 swap and the rest for the root. I think the disk is more than big enough for what i want, and my brother is upstairs, i have 2 pc's and am about to put a 3rd together, so two for gaming...etc, blah blah you get the picture.

These other pc's ranging from 700mhz to 1.1ghz with tiny hdd's should be able to make good browsers from all i have read, they will use low power so be good for the environment and not wasted. and my brothers mates will not be installing toolbar's and poker apps on a pc on my network in side my router firewall, i hope my aims are clearer now.

I had a look at antiX but it might be too technical for me, acording to the distro chooser at Desktop Linux At Home - Distro Results

vector followed by ubuntu, are my best choices. I tried ubuntu first 4 years ago and i did not like apt-get and i notice antix has this, i have tried a version of mepis about 2 years ago and could not get it online or sound and had to give up. I actually liked the look of it but it would be too big though anyway.

I have got working several suse, ie a couple of 'oss' also 'slick' and a enterprise one from a book, (proprietary codecs etc included) i have also used fedora 6 and now 8 but as i said i have lost the ability to play utube i either broke it adding and removing media players or it went in a update. i posted and received some help but it went dry.

I just wanted to get a reply in, i will hopefully get some time tomorow to re-try with two partitions.

nick

I had a look at antiX but it might be too technical for me
    Ok, before I installed Anti on this computer, I ran Puppy Dingo which is also a fine Distro IMO. Lot of Different Puplets to choose from also. Puppy doesn't take up a lot of Disk Space. Lots of different Browser Versions to choose from in the Puplets Distros and Desktops to. Just another alternative I guess if you're interested.
    Puplets | Puppy Linux

Puppy Linux Dingo 4..00 Final is here! | Puppy Linux

Home Page | Puppy Linux

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    /dev/hda1 Type=ext2 Size=1407 Unused=0
    This is your 1500MB ext2 root partition. Notice it says "unused=0", which means it's totally full.
    The kernel panic was from the installer, it couldn't continue because no more free space was available.
    /dev/hda2 Type=ext2 Size472 Unused=448
    This is your 512MB swap, almost completely free.

The sizes i chose were 1500MB hda1, type 83, primary, ext2 (stability and space)
    512MB hda5, type 82, primary, ext2
    The reason for the difference in sizes from what you chose is due to system overhead.

The problem as I understand it is not that your system won't run vector or slack or ubuntu to let someone use web browsers and the like.
    It's that your disks are so small that a basic full install of any of those distros is impossible.
    So you'll have to customize the installation to a high degree, which requires a certain amount of knowledge compared to a full(unattended) install.

Which means that unless you know exactly what packages you need and what their dependencies are, this will probably take several install attempts.
    Including an alternative desktop manager because the full Xorg system will take up more space than you have available.
    Which is why you'll need to use a distro that's optimized for use with one of the light weight window managers because a distro like that has all the basic functionality pre-configured.
    Setting up one of the more full featured distros with a window manager like blackbox/fluxbox/fvwm proposes a new obstacle of being able to configure and use one of those window managers for web related stuff.
    That will be an even bigger obstacle to the person you intend to have use this system since they're likely oblivious the the world of *nix.
    Your best bet(regardless of what route you choose for this) will be to place a HUGE icon on the desktop for whatever browser and email client is installed on the system, and another one that opens a document that lays out the basics in a very step by step manner.
    In addition, make the browser open at login
    But before you do any of that you have to squeeze a distro onto your 1.5GB disk.
    It's easier with a distro optimized for that rather than having to manually squeeze it.
    Just make up your mind to get something like Puppy or antix running.
    If you're choosing a distro based mostly on the technical level, with the added constraint of very little disk space, you have very few options.
    So you're gonna have to make a significant compromise regardless.
    Also, if you want to avoid the technical aspect, why use a slack based distro at all?

To recap:
    vector failed due to disk space(which also rules out slack and most other full featured distros).
    Antix is too technical(which also rules out most of the other distros).
    You don't like how Ubuntu works(which then rules out pretty much every Debian based distro).
    These factors you've imposed on yourself pretty much rule out Linux altogether.
    So my suggestion would be to go with Windows2000.

Overall if you're set on using Linux, your best bet is gonna be to bite the bullet and become more technically proficient.
    Another option would be to consolidate several hard disks into 1 system, and install a base system spread out over several disks.

You're backed into a corner because of all your conflicting needs.
    You're not gonna find a distro that conforms to the limitations your system and yourself have imposed.

Linux is all about technical proficiency.
    And personally, I've never seen anything that suggests otherwise.

Just Joined!

Smile

Hi,
    First and foremost, THANKYOU for your reply, and that goes for all other replies too.

Quote Originally Posted by glaston View Post
    This is your 1500MB ext2 root partition. Notice it says "unused=0", which means it's totally full.
    The kernel panic was from the installer, it couldn't continue because no more free space was available.

This is your 512MB swap, almost completely free.

The reason for the difference in sizes from what you chose is due to system overhead.

I thought about the size being smaller than what the installer was saying so tried again choosing less apps/packages, i got it to say it had installed but was unsure about the hardware configuration. I was using only two partitions then, it said it was installing about 1300MB so i figured the 512 on top it would be well under the 2500MB but it would not boot from the HDD so i gave up.

The problem as I understand it is not that your system won't run vector or slack or ubuntu to let someone use web browsers and the like.
    It's that your disks are so small that a basic full install of any of those distros is impossible.
    So you'll have to customize the installation to a high degree, which requires a certain amount of knowledge compared to a full(unattended) install.

I was hoping that i could get help with someone naming or me finding in print the necessary aspects of the OS that i would need for the very specific task's it has to carry out.

Which means that unless you know exactly what packages you need and what their dependencies are, this will probably take several install attempts.
    Including an alternative desktop manager because the full Xorg system will take up more space than you have available.
    Which is why you'll need to use a distro that's optimized for use with one of the light weight window managers because a distro like that has all the basic functionality pre-configured.
    Setting up one of the more full featured distros with a window manager like blackbox/fluxbox/fvwm proposes a new obstacle of being able to configure and use one of those window managers for web related stuff.

I must admit that i thought i had found exactly that in vector light but it is not light enough.

That will be an even bigger obstacle to the person you intend to have use this system since they're likely oblivious the the world of *nix.
    Your best bet(regardless of what route you choose for this) will be to place a HUGE icon on the desktop for whatever browser and email client is installed on the system,

That is exactly the kind of machine we want except there's no e-mail requirement. He does not even have a e-mail address.

and another one that opens a document that lays out the basics in a very step by step manner.

There is no reason for him to read anything and he would not anyway.

In addition, make the browser open at login

That would be excellent, i have seen the video tutorial on the puppy site as i have been reading about.

But before you do any of that you have to squeeze a distro onto your 1.5GB disk.
    It's easier with a distro optimized for that rather than having to manually squeeze it.
    Just make up your mind to get something like Puppy or antix running.
    If you're choosing a distro based mostly on the technical level, with the added constraint of very little disk space, you have very few options.
    So you're gonna have to make a significant compromise regardless.
    Also, if you want to avoid the technical aspect,

no no no, you misunderstand me, i'm just finding it difficult and i get disheartened if i cannot make progress.

I must note that i am a window cleaner, all this is "for the sheer hell of it" i do not need a pc other than too occupy my mind in a fun and rewarding way

why use a slack based distro at all?

Guided by the distro chooser.

To recap:
    vector failed due to disk space(which also rules out slack and most other full featured distros).
    Antix is too technical(which also rules out most of the other distros).
    You don't like how Ubuntu works,

I agree i was far too dismissive of ubuntu, and apt/get to be honest i could probably get through setting up the repositories now as i am aware of what they are and why there are several but at least part of that response is i could not get it to work but managed with suse and fedora since.

(which then rules out pretty much every Debian based distro).
    These factors you've imposed on yourself pretty much rule out Linux altogether.
    So my suggestion would be to go with Windows2000.

That is exactly what i intend to replace. win2k sp4.

Overall if you're set on using Linux, your best bet is gonna be to bite the bullet and become more technically proficient.

i am trying

Another option would be to consolidate several hard disks into 1 system, and install a base system spread out over several disks.

i believe you are referring to a 'Redundant array of Inexpensive Disks' But it is not available on board so i would have to buy a pci card. This whilst an exciting prospect as i have never built a raid system will have to wait because the next purchase is 4G of ddr2 800 low latency for my brand new athlon x2 6000 (alas 125w) processor that has been here for over 3 weeks, i've had the board over 4 months that will replace my best athlon 3200 skt 939 as a gamer (solo) i am focused on that upgrade as you can imagine

You're backed into a corner because of all your conflicting needs.
    You're not gonna find a distro that conforms to the limitations your system and yourself have imposed.

I stand well advised ;~)

Linux is all about technical proficiency.
    And personally, I've never seen anything that suggests otherwise.
    I do not agree with the last two statements

It has a big political motivation and I think it is some software writers highest aspiration to write software that is "idiot prof" .
    I am sure i read just that earlier whilst browsing around the puppy introduction with puppy 4.0, which i am using to respond to this post, i have not got flash yet but thanks to you both, (i think there was two of you recommending it) i also think i am running it 'live' i will find out shortly.

cheers and again Thankyou for your help, nick

Just Joined!
    i believe you are referring to a 'Redundant array of Inexpensive Disks' But it is not available on board so i would have to buy a pci card. This whilst an exciting prospect as i have never built a raid system will have to wait because the next purchase is 4G of ddr2 800 low latency for my brand new athlon x2 6000 (alas 125w) processor that has been here for over 3 weeks, i've had the board over 4 months that will replace my best athlon 3200 skt 939 as a gamer (solo) i am focused on that upgrade as you can imagine
    No.
    I'm not talking about a RAID set.
    When you install Linux and set up partitions, you can use separate physical disks for each partition.
    It's quite common(and a good idea) to have separate /, /boot, and /home partitions(or disks).
    Also good to have your swap on a separate physical disk than your / partition because it speeds up access times for both disks since it's reading from 2 different volumes.

I do not agree with the last two statements

It has a big political motivation and I think it is some software writers highest aspiration to write software that is "idiot prof" .
    I am sure i read just that earlier whilst browsing around the puppy introduction with puppy 4.0, which i am using to respond to this post, i have not got flash yet but thanks to you both, (i think there was two of you recommending it) i also think i am running it 'live' i will find out shortly.
    It's what you make of it I guess.
    To me Linux has always required much more technical profiency than any other system aside from something like VAX, VMS, etc.
    Of course software engineers want to create 'idiot proof' applications.
    However, the idea of "idiot proof" differs from the perspective of an experienced user/coder.
    They can make every attempt to idiot proof their software, but there will still be problems with some newer users.
    I know that when I try to explain things to people with no technical abilities, they get that blank look and just agree with me.
    If instead they asked for clarification, and asked questions no matter how trivial, they would understand better.
    But that's part of being computer illiterate I guess.
    They don't want to seem stupid.

I mistakenly assumed you were opposed to the technical side of linux, I apologize for that.

and another one that opens a document that lays out the basics in a very step by step manner.

There is no reason for him to read anything and he would not anyway.
    Alright.
    But be prepared for him to summon you for every little thing, like a video that won't play or plays choppy, or to help him find the media player after he accidentally closed it while playing mp3z.
    Or when X quits unexpectedly.
    These things happen more frequently than you think.
    Linux is NOT windows.
    The graphical user interface is merely a subsystem under Linux, as opposed to windows where it is the very OS.
    Alot can go wrong, and usually does go wrong at some point.
    When I suggested a document, I was thinking of instructions on how he can get to certain applications and utilities, not how to troubleshoot the system.
    It's pretty much inevitable that even when someone intends to use only a browser, at some point they're gonna venture off for whatever reasons.
    It's a bit naive to expect that a person will NEVER need anything more than 1 web browser.
    What if he wants to save a file?
    Or print?
    Just because you personally don't think he needs to do these things doesn't mean he never will.

I was hoping that i could get help with someone naming or me finding in print the necessary aspects of the OS that i would need for the very specific task's it has to carry out.
    Most distros will tell you during the install that a certain package is required.
    With Slack, you can choose to manually select packages.
    This sucks though because you have to sit there during the whole install and check/uncheck packages.
    It's not hard to do, just tedious.
    And this is basically what you're gonna have to do.

An additional option(this is what I would do in your situation) would be to download one of the business card sized ISO's of Debian.
    It installs a slim base system, then you use synaptic package manager to add more apps to the system.
    It's user friendly and will partition your disks accordingly on its own.

Since you have such limited resources, this whole thing will be an exercise of trial and error.
    That's pretty much the case when anyone first starts out with Linux though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast