Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've been running Slackware off-and-on for a couple years now, but I'm still a noob for the most part. I recently tried to install Slackware 12.2 on a new machine ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cool [SOLVED] Slackware 12.2 & LSI SAS 8208ELP - no drives found

I've been running Slackware off-and-on for a couple years now, but I'm still a noob for the most part. I recently tried to install Slackware 12.2 on a new machine with all new drives. The drives are connected to an LSI SAS 9208ELP card and configured into RAID1 (first two drives) and RAID5 (next three drives) - with one extra drive as a hot spare.

When attempting to boot Slackware from the install CD, everything goes fine, I use the hugesmp.s kernel, but after the initial boot - when I first arrive at the command prompt - I can only see the virtual partition created during boot. fdisk -l shows empty - no devices connected. dmesg doesn't offer me much help either - I can see where the CD-ROM is assigned dev status, but this never happens to the raid, though there are several lines towards the end of dmesg showing "raid6" and then various transfer speeds.

If I try to run "setup" - it expectedly states that there are no linux partitions.

I'm sure the info I need is around somewhere, but this has been a difficult issue for me to find answers for via the search engines - I'm probably using poor keywords in the search.

I've read a lot of HOW TOs, but most of them assume fdisk -l or dmesg will show hdx or sdx assignments.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Linux Newbie
    Can you run an lspci (the LSI SAS 9208ELP is a PCI card..right?)
    The other question is when you boot are you still using the huge.smp kernel.
    From what your describing their have to be drivers or a module missing from the new kernel

Just Joined!
    dijetlo -

Thanks for the response! I ran lspci, and it DOES see the card - correctly identified...

Here's the snippet (all the stuff above this in the output file pertains to the Intel Chipset):

************************************************** **************************
    01:00.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6311ESB/6321ESB PCI Express Upstream Port (rev 01)
    01:00.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6311ESB/6321ESB PCI Express to PCI-X Bridge (rev 01)
    02:00.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6311ESB/6321ESB PCI Express Downstream Port E1 (rev 01)
    02:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6311ESB/6321ESB PCI Express Downstream Port E2 (rev 01)
    02:02.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6311ESB/6321ESB PCI Express Downstream Port E3 (rev 01)
    04:00.0 SCSI storage controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic MegaRAID SAS 8208ELP/8208ELP (rev 04)
    05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 80003ES2LAN Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Copper) (rev 01)
    05:00.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 80003ES2LAN Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Copper) (rev 01)
    09:0c.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc ES1000 (rev 02)
    ************************************************** **************************

I've attached my dmesg output as well (in case it is of any help)

Thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    From Dmesg
    Code:
    pci 0000:04:00.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 17 (level, low) -> IRQ 17
    DC390: clustering now enabled by default. If you get problems load
    	with "disable_clustering=1" and report to maintainers
    megaraid cmm: 2.20.2.7 (Release Date: Sun Jul 16 00:01:03 EST 2006)
    megaraid: 2.20.5.1 (Release Date: Thu Nov 16 15:32:35 EST 2006)
    megasas: 00.00.04.01 Thu July 24 11:41:51 PST 2008
    GDT-HA: Storage RAID Controller Driver. Version: 3.05
    3ware Storage Controller device driver for Linux v1.26.02.002.
    3ware 9000 Storage Controller device driver for Linux v2.26.02.011.
    nsp32: loading...
    ipr: IBM Power RAID SCSI Device Driver version: 2.4.1 (April 24, 2007)
    RocketRAID 3xxx/4xxx Controller driver v1.3 (071203)
    How much of that is on your system?
    It seems to load all the modules, I'd try what it suggests and turn disable clustering on.

Just Joined!

Red face dijetlo - thanks for your help

dijetlo,

I tried going down the avenue you suggested, but I ran out of time with the machine - it was allocated to a different location.

I appreciate the time and effort you provided me though, and wish I could have delivered happier news.

I'll go ahead and mark this thread as SOLVED (if I can figure out how to do that).

Thanks again!