Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
I already have that driver, but i think i wasnt able to install it properly. There was some paches for it, but i'll give it another shot. EDIT when i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    @home...soon in your homes ;) /usr/src/bulgaria

Edit

I already have that driver, but i think i wasnt able to install it properly. There was some paches for it, but i'll give it another shot.

EDIT
    when i try
    Code:
    make -C /lib/modules/<2.6.29>/build M='pwd'
    -su: 2.6.29: No such file or directory
    BUT there IS such a directory !
    also when do i apply the patch file?

i'm a bit confused now

Linux Guru
    Make sure that you have installed the kernel source and kernel headers that match your kernel version.

I don't know how to install the patch.

I was off trying to compile wpa_supplicant with Broadcom support, and I finally succeeded (not that you need this). It now reports this as supported drivers:
    drivers:
    wext = Linux wireless extensions (generic)
    hostap = Host AP driver (Intersil Prism2/2.5/3)
    prism54 = Prism54.org driver (Intersil Prism GT/Duette/Indigo)
    atmel = ATMEL AT76C5XXx (USB, PCMCIA)
    ndiswrapper = Linux ndiswrapper
    broadcom = Broadcom wl.o driver
    ipw = Intel ipw2100/2200 driver (old; use wext with Linux 2.6.13 or newer)
    wired = wpa_supplicant wired Ethernet driver
    ralink = Ralink Wireless Client driver
    roboswitch = wpa_supplicant roboswitch driver
    Where before I only had this:
    drivers:
    wext = Linux wireless extensions (generic)
    atmel = ATMEL AT76C5XXx (USB, PCMCIA)
    ndiswrapper = Linux ndiswrapper
    wired = wpa_supplicant wired Ethernet driver
    I actually now have two versions installed. The original is in /usr/sbin, and the new one is in /usr/local/sbin. I know that this isn't important to you right now, but I just had to post it somwhere!
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Linux Guru
    OK, I just downloaded, compiled and loaded the wl driver. Are you still having problems?

I know that I did this before, but when I modprobed the wl module I got a "module not found" error. So I did it again.

Let me know how your doing.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by TrashOverride View Post
    when i try
    Code:
    make -C /lib/modules/<2.6.29>/build M='pwd'
    -su: 2.6.29: No such file or directory
    BUT there IS such a directory !
    also when do i apply the patch file?

i'm a bit confused now
    I see the problem that you are having. Remove the "< >" from the version directory. Also, those are backticks surrounding pwd, not single quotes. It should look like this:
    Code:
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.29/build M=`pwd`
    I then ran these commands, as root:
    Code:
    modprobe ieee80211_crypt_tkip
    Code:
    insmod /path/to/hybrid-portsrc-x86_32-v5_10_79_10/wl.ko
    Change the path to the correct one. This loads the wl module, but it doesn't seem to be permanent. So I then manually copied the wl.ko module to the module folder. First I created a folder named wl, your kernel version will be different.
    Code:
    mkdir /lib/modules/2.6.27.12-170.2.5.fc10.i686/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/wl
    Then I copied the module:
    Code:
    cp /media/disk/hybrid-portsrc-x86_32-v5_10_79_10/wl.ko /lib/modules/2.6.27.12-170.2.5.fc10.i686/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/wl/
    My driver is compiled in a folder called /media/disk, so change it to match your folders. I then ran this command.
    Code:
    depmod -a
    I now seem to be able to load and unload it using the modprobe command. I hope some of this info helps you.
    Last edited by waterhead; 04-11-2009 at 11:44 PM.

I was a little busy with work, now i'm back.
    I see that the new version of wpa_supplicant supports the Broadcom driver. I'll try the old one one more time and then i'll try to update.

10x a lot

EDIT: i have error MODULE NOT FOUND when i try modprobe ieee80211...

I was able to install the wl driver BUT without
    Code:
    modprobe ieee80211_crypt_tkip
    , but still cannot conect.
    I installed wpa_supplicant 0.6.9 but when i type
    Code:
    wpa_supplicant -h
    i still get the old supporting drivers /no Broadcom wl/...

Linux Guru
    That version of wpa_supplicant is not "new". I compiled it from source, and followed the instructions to add support for the OLD Broadcom driver. As the wpa_supplicant instructions explained, the newer version of the Broadcom driver will use the "wext" driver designation. This stands for Linux Wireless Extensions, and is included in the default version of wpa_supplicant.

As for you being unable to load the ieee80211_crypt_tktip module. I wonder if this has something to do with the patches, that you reported that you installed in your first post. I was wondering what instructions it was that you were following. The instructions from Broadcom don't include some of the things that you posted. The links that you posted are incomplete, and don't lead anywhere.

You also are trying to use the eth1 designation for the wireless card, are you sure that this is correct? It usually is named wlan0, although eth1 is not all that uncommon.

So. assuming that the wl driver is now installed, we need to firgure out why you can't load the ieee80211_crypt_tktip module. If I am correct in assumming the patches are responsible, you may need to re-install the kernel, but I'm only guessing.

i dont remember from which forum, i have like 5 files of different files of instructions
    Code:
    I found another patch that worked from the Pardus project and was able to get it compiled and loaded, however I couldn't connect to any AP's (iwlist scanning did, however work). Here was what I did:
    Code:
    svn co http://svn.pardus.org.tr/pardus/deve...rs/broadcom-wl
    wget http://www.broadcom.com/docs/linux_s...0_79_10.tar.gz
    mkdir hybrid_wl
    cd hybrid_wl
    tar zxfv ../hybrid-portsrc-x86_32-v5_10_79_10.tar.gz
    patch -p1 < ../broadcom-wl/files/iwe_stream_api.patch
    patch -p1 < ../broadcom-wl/files/linux-2.6.29.patch
    patch -p1 < ../broadcom-wl/files/remove-module-aliases.patch
    patch -p1 < ../broadcom-wl/files/wl_iw.patch
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.29/source M=`pwd` clean
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.29/source M=`pwd`
    cp wl.ko /lib/modules/2.6.29/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/
    depmod -a
    modprobe wl
    i look trough the kernel config again, and now after restart i have
    Code:
    [    0.668036] Broadcom 43xx driver loaded [ Features: PLR, Firmware-ID: FW13 ]
    [    0.668806] Broadcom 43xx-legacy driver loaded [ Features: PLRID, Firmware-ID: FW10 ]
    [    2.360238] Bluetooth: Broadcom Blutonium firmware driver ver 1.2
    [    3.249973] usb 3-1: Manufacturer: Broadcom Corp
    i dont know for what reason i wasnt able to compile them into the kernel in the first place...

BUT now i still dont have interface, nor is the wl driver loaded after reboot, and modprobe wl says there is no such module.

Maybe i should try compiling the current kernel 2.6.29.1?

Quote Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
    You also are trying to use the eth1 designation for the wireless card, are you sure that this is correct? It usually is named wlan0, although eth1 is not all that uncommon.
    with wl modules the interface is eth1, with ndiswrapper it was wlan0

also ieee80211_crypt_tktip should it be in the network sektion in the kernel, or in some other place? Maybe i have to compile it as module in the kernel, but i couldn lokate it...

I dont understand - if i load the old driver, or ndiswrapper, i have interface but no connection. If i load the propper new driver i dont have interface...
    I'm not sure that the new kernel would help, but if u dont have any new idea i would try that

10x again

Linux Guru
    I don't think that you need a special kernel, but I think that you may have altered the one that you are using. I don't know what the patches are for, that is why I wanted the source of the instructions. You should be able to re-install the current kernel. If you have been compiling your own kernel all along, then you need to enable the ieee80211_crypt_tkip module before you compile.

Since this is in the Slackware section, I assumed that you are using Slackware. What in the world is Pardus?

If the b43 diver is loading, you need to blacklist it again.

UPDATE!: I found some info that says the ieee80211_crypt_tkip module has been renamed in the 2.6.29 kernel. It is now called lib80211_crypt_tkip, so give that one a try!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast