Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 34
You said you couldn't tell what drivers I needed without knowing my drivers, so here are all of my drivers for Windows, which can be looked at here: Model Content ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #11
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    13

    You said you couldn't tell what drivers I needed without knowing my drivers, so here are all of my drivers for Windows, which can be looked at here:

    Model Content Page

    -JUST A REMINDER-
    This is what I downloaded, I would apreciate it if you guys checked it and made sure this is right, because its called desktop, I just need a quick check to make sure this is it: http://mirrors.cat.pdx.edu/ubuntu-re...sktop-i386.iso


    Thanks,
    Flwsock

  2. #12
    Administrator jayd512's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    5,023
    Looks like that link downloads 9.04, so good deal there.
    I was looking for some different hardware info on your lappy, but the closest I could get was this: Newegg.com - TOSHIBA Satellite A355D-S6922 NoteBook AMD Turion X2 RM-72(2.10GHz) 16" 4GB Memory DDR2 800 320GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi ATI Radeon 3100 - Laptops / Notebooks

    If that looks like the right hardware, then the only issue you might have is for your graphics card. Once you get Ubuntu installed, we'll get you going on that.

    *EDIT*

    Also found this: Newegg.com - TOSHIBA Satellite L355-S7902 NoteBook Intel Pentium dual-core T3400(2.16GHz) 17.0" Wide XGA+ 3GB Memory DDR2 800 250GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi Intel GMA 4500M - Laptops / Notebooks
    If that's closer, then graphics will be even easier!
    Jay

    New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

  3. #13
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    Looks like that link downloads 9.04, so good deal there.
    I was looking for some different hardware info on your lappy, but the closest I could get was this: Newegg.com - TOSHIBA Satellite A355D-S6922 NoteBook AMD Turion X2 RM-72(2.10GHz) 16" 4GB Memory DDR2 800 320GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi ATI Radeon 3100 - Laptops / Notebooks

    If that looks like the right hardware, then the only issue you might have is for your graphics card. Once you get Ubuntu installed, we'll get you going on that.

    *EDIT*

    Also found this: Newegg.com - TOSHIBA Satellite L355-S7902 NoteBook Intel Pentium dual-core T3400(2.16GHz) 17.0" Wide XGA+ 3GB Memory DDR2 800 250GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi Intel GMA 4500M - Laptops / Notebooks
    If that's closer, then graphics will be even easier!
    I don't understand, why are we looking at specs when I need drivers? I'm sorry if thats a stupid question but I don't understand, do you need me to supply my laptop specs?

  4. #14
    Administrator jayd512's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    5,023
    Not a bad question at all!

    You specs would be great, because what I was looking at was what hardware you actually might have. Depending on what gfx card you have (ATI, intel) and what wireless card (Atheros, Linksys), these are devices that Linux will automatically install/load drivers for.
    Jay

    New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

  5. #15
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    13
    Alright, please post if I forget something, and tell me what I forgot so I can edit this

    3gb Ram
    200gb HDDharddrive (4200rpm)
    intel core 2 duo processor 1.83ghz
    I believe my wireless and hardwire drivers are realtek (but there are others like the ones you mentioned) (on my laptop sticker it says 802.11a/b/g if that means anything)
    17inch monitor
    intel graphics media accelerator x3100 (aka intel gma x3100)
    laptop name is: Satellite L355-S7812

    Thanks,
    Flwsock

  6. #16
    Administrator jayd512's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    5,023
    I believe my wireless and hardwire drivers are realtek
    intel graphics media accelerator x3100 (aka intel gma x3100)
    Then you shouldn't have to do a thing for your graphics. And your wireless won't be too much of an issue at all! Let's get you installed, and then tackle the minor details as we go!
    Jay

    New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

  7. #17
    Linux Guru reed9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    4,651
    Not that it matters all that much, but your processor is capable of running a 64 bit distro. If you ever wanted to add RAM above 4 GB, you'd need a 64 bit system, and it can improve speed on some processor intensive tasks, like video encoding.

  8. #18
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
    Not that it matters all that much, but your processor is capable of running a 64 bit distro. If you ever wanted to add RAM above 4 GB, you'd need a 64 bit system, and it can improve speed on some processor intensive tasks, like video encoding.
    I won't be making any modifications so I'll stick with 32bit

    Jayd and reed9, I will try to install tomorrow, not now because I have to go, I will be on in around 19 hours which is 4pm my time (which I believe is central) I live in Wisconsin, so whatever time that is lol. So, if you can manage, try to get on at that time.

    Thanks so much,
    Flwsock

  9. #19
    Administrator jayd512's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    5,023
    Good luck on the installation. Let us know if any issues pop up!
    Jay

    New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

  10. #20
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    Good luck on the installation. Let us know if any issues pop up!
    Hold on, can you please add me on at least one of the following, it will be easier than communicating on here, just incase either one of us isn't on.

    MSN: flwsock@yahoo.com
    AIM: flwsock
    yahoo: flwsock@yahoo.com


    Also, if I need the internet drivers for Linux, can you please supply them so I can download them and be all set for linux tomorrow! I'm so excited, and please add me on one of the above, I really need to talk to you tomorrow!
    Thanks,
    Flwsock

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •