Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
To be honest, I haven't used an IM in about 2 years! But I'm on here ALOT!...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

To be honest, I haven't used an IM in about 2 years!
    But I'm on here ALOT!
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    To be honest, I haven't used an IM in about 2 years!
    But I'm on here ALOT!
    Ok great, we don't need an IM then, as long as your on alot we can keep in contact , see you tomorrow!

Although it is very tempting to use IM, we like to keep things on the boards (The Forum) so that others who may be having similar problems may benefit from your experience. Hundreds, if not thousands of people will read this thread and it might save someone a lot of frustration and time. This is a small part of how the Linux community progresses. You are doing a good thing by posting your experience. Thanks and have a great time here at Linuxforums.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Thanks, and will do, I plan to have many more great times at Linuxforums after I install Linux, and help people with their problems!

That's the spirit!
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    I'm installing Ubuntu on a crap computer I have in the basement, if it all goes well, I'm installing on my laptop afterwards... I'm going to need the drivers for my hardwire and wireless internet, so if someone could please get them, it would be great so then I could DL them and be ready for Linux!

Once you get Ubuntu installed, the wired internet should just work... no muss, no fuss. Once you have it on your lappy, you'll be able to hook up an ethernet connection to DL the needed firmware (drivers are probably already in place).
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Just Joined!
    Ok, I attempted to install Ubuntu, and now I'm kind of frustrated. I tried many times, and now when I boot up it asks what I want to boot up in, and it says Ubuntu like 4 times, and then when I click on xp it says, xp or ubuntu, same with vista. Not only that, when I tried to boot up in one, it wouldn't let me and then I would just get stuck in a command prompt sort of thing, it says un-supported PM caps or something like that. Can't I just make a separate partition for Ubuntu so I can kick off vista? Or do I have to do all the junk? Also, how do I get all the Ubuntu crap off the boot-up screen, I deleted the Ubuntu files and yet it still comes up. I also need a way on how I can do it from Daemon tools, I used it with windows and it installed vista good, why won't it work with Linux, how come Ubuntu's logo is.. a thing... when Linux's logo is a penguin. (So I thought)

Did you read through some guides on dual booting?
    How to dual boot Windows XP and Linux (XP installed first) -- the step-by-step guide with screenshots
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

Linux's logo is a penguin, Tux. Linux is more accurately, just the kernel of the operating system. Many of the actual programs used, like the GCC compiler, the GNOME desktop, emacs, are actually part of the GNU project, whose logo is, shockingly, a Gnu. Each distribution, whether it has corporate sponsorship (Ubuntu with Canonical) or is wholly a community effort, develops their own implementation of the GNU/Linux, and have their own logos and artwork. Linux is not a monolithic organization, it is a community.

lol... I was wondering how you were getting on! Let's see here...
    how come Ubuntu's logo is.. a thing... when Linux's logo is a penguin. (So I thought)
    Every distro has a different logo. Tux the Penguin is the official Linux Mascot.
    Now as far as the rest of it, I'll piece together some questions.
    1) How did you install? Meaning, did you put the disk in the cup-holder and re-boot? Or did you install while running Windows? I would recommend the former. (Ubuntu has a tool called Wubi that lets you install like any other application.
    2) You asked about partitioning. While most Linux distros will let you create partitions during the install, you can use a program called GParted. Personally, since it's your first go at it, I would advise choosing a partition to install on during installation. Just pick the one that has Vista, and tell the installer to use it.
    3) Once you have successfully installed Linux, you'll have a selection screen to choose which OS to boot to.

by the way, what exactly were your 4 choices that you referred to?

*EDIT*

reed beat me to the punch on some of it! I type to slow...
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast