Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I'm trying to install slackware 12.2 on my Asus1000HE via USB, I got the usb image file, followed steps as per alienBob and dd the iso files over, boot off ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing Slackware on Asus1000HE

I'm trying to install slackware 12.2 on my Asus1000HE via USB, I got the usb image file, followed steps as per alienBob and dd the iso files over, boot off the usb stick and get a nice "Missing Operating System" message, where am I going wrong?

@home...soon in your homes ;) /usr/src/bulgaria
    hmm, are you sure you boot the USB first? check BIOS.

Just Joined!
    FIrst off I like the name...hackers was just on movies that dont suck lastnight, and yeah I'm positive about the booting to usb first.

@home...soon in your homes ;) /usr/src/bulgaria
    1.Try to boot the USB on other computer
    2.Try different distro (if its bosible) - just to see if it boots
    3. You dont have a CDrom?

Some distros have eeepc installations.

PS: 10x

I don't know the alienbob steps you're referring to, but one of the easiest ways to create a USB install is with unetbootin.

Just Joined!
    I got the unetbootin, done the iso file and copied to 8gb flash drive. started the install okay....further there I had gotten previously. Although when it ask for source....this is where I am stuck at. Any ideas?

You're going to have to be way more specific than that. I don't use Slackware - I prefer more current software and package management with dependency resolution. Here is a pretty thorough guide to installing. You end up with an obnoxiously bloated system, in my opinion, but the initial installation part is good.

When using Unetbootin and it asks for the source, you'll have to specify whether it's from a hard drive file or from a download site (I've used Unetbootin in this fashion). If from a download site, then the source you'll need to specify is the URL of the mirror that holds the Slack image.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

I got the unetbootin, done the iso file and copied to 8gb flash drive. started the install okay....further there I had gotten previously. Although when it ask for source....this is where I am stuck at. Any ideas?
    My impression is that he got it on the flash drive fine, but is stuck somewhere in the install. I was actually reading the link I posted, shockingly, I think the hold up is in selecting the Source Media. It offers CD/DVD, Harddrive, NFS, or Pre-Mounted Directory.

There's a USB install tool for Slackware, which I think might have been what he was trying before. Seems like you should be able to install without it, probably via the pre-mounted directory option, but I really don't know. In Arch you could just mount USB /dev/sd(x) to /src. Does Slackware work the same?

SnarkKnuckle, you might consider an easier distro to begin with.

In Arch you could just mount USB /dev/sd(x) to /src. Does Slackware work the same?
    I know there are ways to install to USB without the tool you're referring to. But I've never installed to a thumb drive. Looking for the link now...
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast