Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello I have a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo m7400 1.5ghz laptop Before installing slackware 12.2, I would like to learn the properties of my laptop. I have made a search in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Post [SOLVED] System information help before installing slackware 12.2

Hello
    I have a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo m7400 1.5ghz laptop
    Before installing slackware 12.2, I would like to learn the properties of my laptop. I have made a search in some search motors however, i could not really find the properties of the laptop.

Could you please tell me what to do?

Thanks a lot. After 10 years, I will again install linux. I started with Mandrake and Redhat in my high school. After that I could not find time to deal with computers. Now, I need a very stable system. From those days, I know that slackware is the best. Or that was the impression of slackware on me 10 years ago.
    I will give it a chance...

regards
    berkan

Slackware is very stable, but also a much more difficult for new users than most the other distros. As far as a distro for a laptop, any of the major distros are quite stable. How much RAM do you have?

I'm not entirely clear what you mean properties? You mean the hardware used? Size of the harddrive? Amount of RAM? If you still have windows on the machine, I know somewhere in the control panel it will tell you all of that info. In linux, most of what you want to know can be had via the lspci command, though there are a host of other tools available.

Just Joined!
    Hello reed9,
    I am ready to give my time for slackware. I am aware of the fact that it will not be very easy but what I need is not very colorful stuff. I just need performance.

My RAM is 504 mb, however, I can increase it up to 2GB. That is what I read from forums.

By saying properties, I meant the name of my sound card, motherboard, any other HARDWARE. So that I will be able to install any drivers if slackware does not automatically finds it. Yes I know that place, it is the hardware manager. I just wanted to know while selling this product, what do they write about hardware.

Everything should work fine. This is a little old, but support was decent then, and probably better now.

Just Joined!
    Good to know
    Thanks a lot.