Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok, I went to the Slackware website and for any Linux newbie this is hard to install. Briefing the situation: I got a 6g hard drive on my laptop, I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help me get Slackware on my laptop

Ok, I went to the Slackware website and for any Linux newbie this is hard to install.

Briefing the situation:
    I got a 6g hard drive on my laptop, I got Window XP on it. I don't know what to get to install Slackware from a CD
    ftp://ftp.slackware.com/
    I have no clue if theres a way to delete everything on my hard drive to put only Slackware, while I install slackware is there an option? If not what do I do?

then the window manage could I install this:
    http://www.fvwm.org/ seems good, I like the look, is that good? customizable?

Ok if u give me the information on what file to burn on the cd, after I just put the cd in boot up and voila?

Specs
    about 400mhz
    128mb ram
    6gig

Just Joined!
    You can get the iso images here and here

Yes, you can format your hard drive from the Slackware install. Once the cd has booted up. Type cfdisk, delete the existing partitions and create two new ones. One should be twice the size of how much ram you have, and should be type 82, which is swap, or virtual memory. The other will be type 83. After you are done partitioning type setup. Go from there. Slackware includes fvwm, kde, gnome, fluxbox, blackbox, window maker, and tab window manager. You run xwmconfig to switch between those that you choose to install.

Just Joined!
    I have not used the window manager that you mentioned so I cannot recommend it, but when I made the transition from windows to linux KDE and Gnome were very user friendly and windows-ish. Hope that helps