Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I recently rescued an old iMac G3 with a Slackintosh installation. I tried Xubuntu also (since I use Ubuntu on my laptop) but found Slackware to be much nicer. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation [SOLVED] Slackintosh - Networking error

Hi,

I recently rescued an old iMac G3 with a Slackintosh installation. I tried Xubuntu also (since I use Ubuntu on my laptop) but found Slackware to be much nicer.

The only issue I'm having is with connecting to the Internet via ethernet.

When I open the network settings, I see that eth0 is recognised, but not enabled.

When I try to enable the device, I get a message saying that it can't enable the device and I need to enable it manually.

Can anyone tell me what might be going be on here and how I might remedy it? I'm a novice with Slackware and KDE, so I apologise if this is something totally obvious.

Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by gavlees View Post
    When I try to enable the device, I get a message saying that it can't enable the device and I need to enable it manually.
    Its strange that KDE is not configuring network automatically. Have you not opted for DHCP for network configuration during installation? Can you try:
    Code:
    su
    /sbin/ifconfig eth0 up ; /sbin/dhcpcd eth0
    after you enter 'su', you need to give the password for the root account. Then execute the second line.
    Quote Originally Posted by gavlees View Post
    Can anyone tell me what might be going be on here and how I might remedy it? I'm a novice with Slackware and KDE, so I apologise if this is something totally obvious.
    Please don't be apologetic. We all are learning...
    A candle looses nothing by lighting other candles. - Khalil Zibran.
    Registered Linux User #490076

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the advice! I'll try it out on Monday when I'm back at the office.

I was reading through some Slackware FAQs last night as well, which mentioned the "netconfig" command - would this be a semi-automated fix a la "xorgconfig" (which I needed to run to get KDE to start)?

Cheers!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Oh yes, 'netconfig'. Sorry forgot that. If I remember correctly, its the recommended method. Please try that first.
    A candle looses nothing by lighting other candles. - Khalil Zibran.
    Registered Linux User #490076

Just Joined!
    Also the network settings are stored in. So check to make sure it has the right values set.
    Code:
    /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf
    You can always manually change them and see if that will help

Just Joined!

Smile

Those seem to have done the trick - thanks!!!!!!!!!