Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey Guys, I have been manually upgrading my kernel since slackware 12.1, which was running 2.6.24.5. I went from that to 2.6.28 and recently to 2.6.29.4. I just happened to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

question about modules

Hey Guys,

I have been manually upgrading my kernel since slackware 12.1, which was running 2.6.24.5. I went from that to 2.6.28 and recently to 2.6.29.4. I just happened to notice a message during boot time it was
    Code:
     Running /etc/rc.d/rc.modules -> (and something) modules-2.6.24.5:
    I thought I had done my h/w regarding compiling a kernel.. everywhere only thing that was mentioned for modules was make modules then make modules_install. So why is it still running modules 2.6.24.5..?

I am an intermediate user.. so not sure what I missed or what i need to do.. or if this is even a problem Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Are you sure you are booting your new kernel? That may sound like a stupid question, but it wouldn't be the first time I had forgotten to run `lilo` after configuring lilo.conf.

Anyway, /etc/rc.d/rc.modules runs `uname -r` to determine which kernel modules to load.
    What does this tell you?
    Code:
    uname -r
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

Just Joined!
    I am booting the new kernel.. since I removed the bzImage/vmlinuz for the older kernels. Here is the output for uname
    Code:
    bash-3.1$ uname -r
    2.6.29.4-smp

Oké, that looks good.

Did you try `dmesg`?
    Usually I just throw some greps at dmesg like this:
    Code:
    dmesg|grep --color=always -i error
    dmesg|grep --color=always -i not       # more useful than it looks ;-)
    dmesg|grep --color=always -i fail
    dmesg|grep --color=always -i miss
    dmesg|grep --color=always -i unknown
    dmesg|grep --color=always -i disabl
    dmesg|grep --color=always -i kernel
    dmesg|grep --color=always -i module
    dmesg|grep --color=always -i incomp
    dmesg|grep -iv debug|grep --color=always -i bug
    dmesg|grep -iv default|grep --color=always -i fault
    #dmesg|grep --color=always -i 'your own searchterm here'
    But you can also look at it manually:
    Code:
    dmesg|less
    And of course, so not to overlook the obvious:
    Code:
    ls /lib/modules/
    Any errors?

Just Joined!
    Firstly, I really appreciate you taking the time to help me Freston . So here is the output for ls /lib/modules/
    Code:
    bash-3.1$ ls /lib/modules/
    2.6.24.5-smp  2.6.27.7	2.6.27.7-smp  2.6.28-smp  2.6.29.4-smp
    So looks like i need to do a bit of cleaning up.. as it is picking up the first lib/modules which is 2.6.24.5.

Also I didn't get any output for some of the the dmesg stuff you posted, and for those that I did get some output.. it was hard to discern (for me atleast) if it was running the right stuff or not

Quote Originally Posted by KingX
    Firstly, I really appreciate you taking the time to help me Freston . So here is the output for ls /lib/modules/
    You're welcome

Quote Originally Posted by KingX
    So looks like i need to do a bit of cleaning up.. as it is picking up the first lib/modules which is 2.6.24.5.

Also I didn't get any output for some of the the dmesg stuff you posted, and for those that I did get some output.. it was hard to discern (for me atleast) if it was running the right stuff or not
    Reading dmesg output it not everyones hobby, no. It scares people into thinking they are in over their heads. But it's good to do from time to time. It's not something you intuitively understand the first time. But the more you do it, the easier it becomes.

What I was interested in was the error you got, the one about loading modules. Do you still see that during boot? 'cuz I still don't know what would cause your kernel to load the wrong modules. Really nothing on this?
    Code:
    dmesg | grep -i module

About cleaning, up, yeah you can do that but it's not vital. Multiple kernels can live side by side. It should not cause problems.

EDIT: Oh I forgot:
    Code:
    lsmod
    Gives you a list of loaded modules.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Freston View Post
    What I was interested in was the error you got, the one about loading modules. Do you still see that during boot? 'cuz I still don't know what would cause your kernel to load the wrong modules...
    Oh it's not really an error message that I get. I mean all the correct modules for my kernel gets loaded eventually (as I checked with lsmod). I was just intrigued by the message that at boot up it attempts to load the modules for a older kernel.. and if I should be concerned about it. Sorry if i wasn't clear in my first post.

Well, trying to load the wrong modules is an error in my book

I wouldn't loose sleep over it, but indeed intriguing.