Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
If you will follow the link I posted and run that script, I have a friend who is freelancing on Alsa HD Audio driver support (snd-hda-intel). We can get the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

If you will follow the link I posted and run that script, I have a friend who is
    freelancing on Alsa HD Audio driver support (snd-hda-intel). We can get the
    report to him, and he might be able to help.

And you are right about it not working on many Linux distros. I recently did an
    install for a guy to a laptop with HD Audio with the Conextant chipset. It did not
    work there, either, and the only hack we found on the net is dubious and not at
    all worth the trouble.

Yeah, when I bought this machine of mine I had to wait a good two months or so before the right rivers where released. Two months without sound on a *bling* new machine isn't much fun But that pain is forgotten now.

It'll all work out in the end
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

Just Joined!
    i have the same card on a thinkpad running slack 12.2 with no issues.

this might sound stupid, but did you also un-mute the 'speaker' in alsamixer?

if you arrow to the right it will be the last option right after 'internal'

./tom

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Tom,

Can you issue "lspci -vv" and "cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#* | grep Codec"
    and then post the output of the portion for your soundcard from lspci, and the one
    line from the other command -- in code tags, please?

kea, can you also give us the output of:
    "cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#* | grep Codec"

Just Joined!
    here you go:

lspci -vv

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
    Subsystem: Lenovo ThinkPad T61
    Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx-
    Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
    Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
    Interrupt: pin B routed to IRQ 17
    Region 0: Memory at fe220000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
    Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
    Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=55mA PME(D0+,D1-,D2-,D3hot+,D3cold+)
    Capabilities: [60] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+ Queue=0/0 Enable-
    Address: 0000000000000000 Data: 0000
    Capabilities: [70] Express (v1) Root Complex Integrated Endpoint, MSI 00
    DevCap: MaxPayload 128 bytes, PhantFunc 0, Latency L0s <64ns, L1 <1us
    ExtTag- RBE- FLReset-
    DevCtl: Report errors: Correctable- Non-Fatal- Fatal- Unsupported-
    RlxdOrd- ExtTag- PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop+
    MaxPayload 128 bytes, MaxReadReq 128 bytes
    DevSta: CorrErr- UncorrErr- FatalErr- UnsuppReq- AuxPwr+ TransPend-
    LnkCap: Port #0, Speed unknown, Width x0, ASPM unknown, Latency L0 <64ns, L1 <1us
    ClockPM- Suprise- LLActRep- BwNot-
    LnkCtl: ASPM Disabled; Disabled- Retrain- CommClk-
    ExtSynch- ClockPM- AutWidDis- BWInt- AutBWInt-
    LnkSta: Speed unknown, Width x0, TrErr- Train- SlotClk- DLActive- BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-
    Capabilities: [100] Virtual Channel <?>
    Capabilities: [130] Root Complex Link <?>
    Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
    Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel
    -
    cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#* | grep Codec

Codec: Analog Devices AD1984

I want you to see that just because the card uses the same kernel module, it is not
    necessarily the same card.

My ThinkPad, a Lenovo T61 7663-FD1:
    Code:
    root@jeremiah:~# lspci -vv
    <snip>
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
            Subsystem: Lenovo ThinkPad T61                                                   
            Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx-
            Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx- 
            Interrupt: pin B routed to IRQ 17                                                                    
            Region 0: Memory at fe220000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]                                   
                    Status: D0 PME-Enable- DSel=0 DScale=0 PME-                                                  
            Capabilities: [60] MSI: Mask- 64bit+ Count=1/1 Enable-                                               
                    Address: 0000000000000000  Data: 0000                                                        
                            ExtTag- RBE- FLReset-                                                                
                    LnkCap: Port #0, Speed unknown, Width x0, ASPM unknown, Latency L0 <64ns, L1 <1us            
                            ClockPM- Surprise- LLActRep- BwNot-                                                  
                    LnkSta: Speed unknown, Width x0, TrErr- Train- SlotClk- DLActive- BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-           
    Code:
    root@jeremiah:~# cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#* | grep Codec
    Codec: Analog Devices AD1984
    And here's my workstation, which one might say "has the same card":
    Code:
    00:06.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP55 High Definition Audio (rev a2)
            Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 81f6                         
            Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
            Status: Cap+ 66MHz+ UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx- 
            Latency: 0 (500ns min, 1250ns max)                                                                   
            Interrupt: pin B routed to IRQ 23                                                                    
            Region 0: Memory at fe024000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]                                   
            Capabilities: [44] Power Management version 2                                                        
                    Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot+,D3cold+)                   
                    Status: D0 PME-Enable- DSel=0 DScale=0 PME-                                                  
            Capabilities: [50] MSI: Mask+ 64bit+ Count=1/1 Enable-                                               
                    Address: 0000000000000000  Data: 0000                                                        
                    Masking: 00000000  Pending: 00000000                                                         
            Capabilities: [6c] HyperTransport: MSI Mapping Enable- Fixed+                                        
    Code:
    root@silas64:~# cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#* | grep Codec
    Codec: Analog Devices AD1988B
    But, alas, the codec is crucial; the cards, not the same.

A dumb me too post may be. But are you in 'audio' group?
    A candle looses nothing by lighting other candles. - Khalil Zibran.
    Registered Linux User #490076

Just Joined!
    wait...

it may just be because i'm drunk, but the two outputs of lspci clearly show two different cards right?

i realize they are using the same kernel drivers and modules (and different codec), but they are clearly different cards right?

anyway, i only assumed we had the same card cause the output

root@shithole:~# lspci |grep -i audio
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller
    are the same

shitever, my audio works perfectly so i don't really care.

apologies if i'm being obtuse.

feel free to highlight my ignorance.

i'm always interested in learning more about something that i don't know **** about cause it always just worked with little to no configuration.

toodles

./tom

Quote Originally Posted by tyrannothesaurusrex
    anyway, i only assumed we had the same card cause the output are the same (...) feel free to highlight my ignorance.
    OK then, spot the 10 differences
    Quote Originally Posted by kea
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrannothesaurusrex
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

kea
    Just Joined!
    Mingdao asked for the output of alsa-info.sh. It was uploaded and can be accessed at a link I will try to enter here ("ou are only allowed to post URLs to other sites after you have made 15 posts or more.")

three w-s, dot, alsa-project (dot) org (per) db (per) and the tail:

?f=1adc9db2ea67182a53fe8cbaef19f1aed711d0c6

Audio codec is: Analog Devices AD1984A

lspci -vv (only audio part):

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
    Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Unknown device 3614
    Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
    Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 17
    Region 0: Memory at 98800000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
    Capabilities: [60] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+ Queue=0/0 Enable-
    Address: 0000000000000000 Data: 0000
    ExtTag- RBE- FLReset+
    ClockPM- Suprise- LLActRep- BwNot-

Upgraded alsa-lib and alsa-driver to 1.0.20, but builtin speakers remained silent while earphones worked. I googled here and there but I could not find any useful idea.

▄dvrivalgßssal:
    KEA.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast