Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
After a lot of trouble trying to convert one video format to another, I finally resort to asking on a forum. I'm trying to convert: "Microsoft ASF" into: "ISO Media, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Convert video?

After a lot of trouble trying to convert one video format to another, I finally resort to asking on a forum.

I'm trying to convert: "Microsoft ASF"

into: "ISO Media, MPEG v4 system, version 2"

How can I do this? I've tried various commands with mencoder and ffmpeg, to no avail.

I've managed to convert ASF into: "RIFF (little-endian) data, AVI, 480 x 498, 23.98 fps, video: FFMpeg MPEG-4, audio: DivX (mono, 44100 Hz)"

But my embedded device will not play this format (Nokia N82), however, it will play files that are "ISO Media, MPEG v4 system, version 2" -- which is my reason for wanting to convert into this format.

Try these commands.
    ffmpeg -i "/path/to/input/video.asf" -f mpeg -vcodec mpeg2video -ar 44100 "/path/to/output/video.mp4"
    or

mencoder "/path/to/input/video.asf" -of mpeg -mpegopts format=mpeg2 -ovc lavc -oac lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:autoaspect -srate 44100 -o "/path/to/output/video.mp4"
    You will have to install required libraries like libavcodedc
    Never make any misteaks.

Read my Blog at --> Penguin Inside Subscribe Feed

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by b2bwild View Post
    Try these commands.

or

You will have to install required libraries like libavcodedc
    Hi, thanks for those one-liners, excellent -- but I seem unable to install the required codecs; on the ffmpeg website it is stated the libavcodec is included in the release, which I downloaded, compiled and installed, but still I get the following error:

Code:
    Error while opening codec for output stream #0.0 - maybe incorrect parameters such as bit_rate, rate, width or height

0. It always helps if you know what you are doing. Great info about containers, video and audio can be found here:
    Common myths - Avidemux2
    1. I'm a die-hard CLI user myself. Working with video is something where GUI comes handy. Because you really need to see what you do. Thus, my favorite is Avidemux:
    Main Page - Avidemux2

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
    0. It always helps if you know what you are doing. Great info about containers, video and audio can be found here:
    Common myths - Avidemux2
    1. I'm a die-hard CLI user myself. Working with video is something where GUI comes handy. Because you really need to see what you do. Thus, my favorite is Avidemux:
    Main Page - Avidemux2
    That was actually a very interesting read, thanks.

I'm trying to compile Avidemux now.

Linux Newbie
    Unfortunately it doesn't work, after some fiddling it did compile, but it segfaults when I try to do any operations on the ASF video, it dumps core with a long memory range and backtrace.

I used Avidemux 2.5.0 and followed the "Compile instructions" at the website.

Try stable 2.4.x. What exactly is this ASF? My Avidemux can open WMV. Is it the same thing?

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
    Try stable 2.4.x. What exactly is this ASF? My Avidemux can open WMV. Is it the same thing?
    I'll try that, and yes, it is WMV, the "file" util tells me that in turn is "Microsoft ASF".

Linux Newbie
    As I'm still unable to get this working, I was just curious if there isn't simply some simple one-liner I can type that will do it; how hard can this be?

What it is your embedded device wants? This 'ISO Media, MPEG v4 system, version 2' is kind of vague. There are three things, container, video and audio. My guess is these should be:

MPEG-4 Part 14 container
    H.264/MPEG-4 AVC Video
    AAC audio

... but this is just a guess.
    You are right, it's easy ... if you know what you need. Take a file that works, open it in Avidemux and look at properties.

I just converted a file using Avidemux-2.5, does it play in your device?
    3.3 MB test file

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast