Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have two problems, they may be related. I only have these problems as a non-root user. The problems I'm having are 1) I do not have permissions to create/modify ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    eap
    Just Joined!

Permissions problem?

I have two problems, they may be related. I only have these problems as a non-root user. The problems I'm having are 1) I do not have permissions to create/modify files on the Desktop and 2) certain commands are not usable unless you are specifially logged in as root.

For the first problem I was thinking since I had created a separate partition for /home that I would have to give myself permission by modifying /etc/fstab. It didn't work. Any ideas?

The second one I find more bizarre. I can't run commands such as iwconfig, or shutdown. I get a "command not found". It's kinda annoying when I have to log out and log in as root just to properly shutdown my computer.

---
    Update:

Checked again and it seems I can write files onto /home/nameOfUser but not /home/nameOfUser/Desktop. I guess I do have permissions to modify on that partition, just not on the Desktop. Still haven't fixed it yet.

Commands such as shutdown and ifconfig are located in /sbin, which is by default not in a users path, but it is in the path of root. That is because the executables that affect the system are in /sbin, and regular users shouldn't run these.
    You can change this, as I did, by putting /sbin in your users path. You will then get a 'permission denied' rather than a 'command not found', which I prefer. Edit (as root) your /etc/profile or (as user) ~/.bashrc

But you don't really have to log out/log in as root to run these commands, you can `su` to root, do your thing and `exit` back to being user.

You can check permissions on files and directories with `ls -l`, you shouldn't have to change fstab to set permissions on your home dir. You can change permissions with `chmod` and you can change ownership with `chown`. Read the man pages for details.

When you use `chmod`, this list can come in handy:
    Code:
    0=no permission
    1=x
    2=w
    3=wx
    4=r
    5=rx
    6=rw
    7=rwx
    Changing a permission on your Desktop dir would look like this;
    Code:
    chmod 700 ~/Desktop
    Also, I don't want to sound like I am RTFM'ing you, but the Slackbook has lots of good info and tips.
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

kea
    Just Joined!
    ...and don't forget to see if you are the owner of your Desktop directory.

cd
    ls -ld Desktop

and see the owner's username in the third column.

▄dvrivalgßssal:
    KEA.

I've always written it chmod 0xxx file
    mainly because since I've been reading about it almost everything I can think of that I've read has used it this way in examples or instructions. Just a habit.
    1xxx is sticky bit, which I hadn't used personally until I was tinkering with Linux From Scratch. I didn't finish it, but I had no problems up until the time I quit ... I was gonna hold off for a while ...

Also, according to the Filesystem Hierachy Standard 2.3:
    /sbin : System binaries
    Purpose

Utilities used for system administration (and other root-only commands) are stored in /sbin, /usr/sbin, and /usr/local/sbin. /sbin contains binaries essential for booting, restoring, recovering, and/or repairing the system in addition to the binaries in /bin. Programs executed after /usr is known to be mounted (when there are no problems) are generally placed into /usr/sbin. Locally-installed system administration programs should be placed into /usr/local/sbin.