Find the answer to your Linux question:
Okay I googled it and cant find the same problem or anything so I thought I would ask here. I put the installation dvd in and I get to where ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Disk error 10 AX=42BB?

Okay I googled it and cant find the same problem or anything so I thought I would ask here. I put the installation dvd in and I get to where it says isolinux and it should load only instead it give me disk error 10 AX = 42BB press a key to retry... I have no idea what it means? I put in another disc to see if it boots it and it booted ubuntu fine with no errors.. I know the harddrive works since I have ubuntu installed on it which is what I am on right now typing this.. any idea? I hope its not a bad disc cause I've been messing with this thing for 3 weeks now lol...

Did you check the md5sum of the Downloaded ISO? Did you do an md5sum check on the burnt DVD?
    From a Tutorial I have on MintLinux..........NOTICE, you need to substitute LinuxMint and all File names contained herein to the actual filenames on your DVD/ISO......this is an example only.

You’ve read the release notes, you just can’t wait to play with the new features or try
    Linux Mint, and your download just finished successfully. You’re ready to burn a CD
    and to boot on it... but hey! Wait for a second!
    If that CD is faulty you will experience weird bugs and will have a lot of trouble finding
    help. The two most common reasons for a CD to be faulty are:
    • An issue with the download causing problems in your ISO file
    • An error during the burn process that alters the contents of your burned liveCD
    The MD5 signature, which is present on the download page, provides a quick way for
    you to make sure that your ISO file is exactly like it should be. So, let’s check the ISO
    file you just downloaded before we burn it and save ourselves from a lot of potential
    problems.
    If you run any version of Linux you probably already have the md5sum program
    installed. Open a terminal and “cd” to the directory where your ISO file is (for instance, if
    “LinuxMint-7.iso” is on the Desktop), open a terminal and type:
    cd
    cd Desktop
    md5sum LinuxMint-7.iso
    This command should output a series of numbers and letters which comprise the MD5
    sum, or signature, of your ISO file. By design, any small change to the ISO file will cause
    this signature to be different, allowing us to verify that the file is exactly as it should be.
    Page 8 of 54
    Compare that signature with the one on the download page of the Linux Mint website. If
    the two signatures are the same, then you know your ISO file is exactly the same as the
    original and you can now get ready to burn it on CD.
    If you happen to run Windows, chances are you don’t have md5sum installed. You can
    get it from here: etree.org | md5sum.exe
    Place the ISO file and the md5sum.exe in the same place (let’s say in C:\) and run
    “cmd.exe”. In the command line environment, type the following commands:
    C:
    cd \
    md5sum LinuxMint-7.iso
    Then compare the signature to the one present on the website.
    Burn the ISO to CD
    Now that you have checked the ISO file with MD5, you are ready to burn it to a CD.
    Note: Some editions might require a DVD. Basically, if the ISO is larger than 700MB you need to burn it
    on a DVD (preferably a DVD-R).
    Get a blank CD-R (a CD-RW should work as well, but this type of media is known to
    have compatibility issues) and your favorite marker and label the CD. Although labeling
    your CD's sounds trivial, you should be sure to do so, as you can easily end up with 20
    unlabeled and unidentifiable discs on your desk.
    Insert the blank CD-R in the drive and get ready to burn the ISO.
    If you’re running Linux with Gnome right-click on the ISO file and select “Write to
    Disc”.
    If you’re running Linux with KDE, launch K3B and in the “Tools” menu choose “Write
    ISO Image”.
    If you’re running Windows you can use a program like ISO Recorder or InfraRecorder:
    ISO Recorder v 2
    InfraRecorder Welcome
    Note: Make sure to burn the ISO image to disk, not on the disk. A very common mistake, especially for
    people using Nero, is to actually burn the ISO file on the disk.. as a data file. The ISO file is an image of a
    disk so it needs to be burnt not as a file which will appear on the disk, but as an ISO image which will be
    decompressed and which content will be burnt onto the disc. After burning the CD you shouldn't see the
    ISO file within the disc... you should see folders like “casper” or “isolinux”... Most burning software has a
    special option for this.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!

I actually bought the disc from some vendor on ebay. I would have thought he had checked the md5sum since hes selling all kinds of distros..

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

md5sum

okay I wasnt really sure about the info you gave me since I didnt download the iso but I was looking at the directory the disc is in when I put it in (cdrom1) i forgot to mention i can open the dvd contents when I put it in and am using an OS like windows or ubuntu but i Cant get it to boot. but anyways I seen a file called md5sum and opened it and it said to check the md5sums use this command "md5sum -c CHECKSUMS.md5 | less" and yeah its giving me some errors everything says ok then here I will post it so you know what i'm seeing.

./COPYING: OK
    ./COPYING3: OK
    ./COPYRIGHT.TXT: OK
    ./CRYPTO_NOTICE.TXT: OK
    ./ChangeLog.txt: OK
    ./FAQ.TXT: OK
    ./FILELIST.TXT: OK
    ./GPG-KEY: OK
    ./PACKAGES.TXT: OK
    ./README.TXT: OK
    ./README.initrd: OK
    ./README_CRYPT.TXT: OK
    ./README_LVM.TXT: OK
    ./README_RAID.TXT: OK
    ./RELEASE_NOTES: OK
    ./SPEAKUP_DOCS.TXT: OK
    ./SPEAK_INSTALL.TXT: OK
    ./Slackware-HOWTO: OK
    ./UPGRADE.TXT: OK
    ./extra/FILE_LIST: FAILED open or read
    ./extra/MANIFEST.bz2: FAILED open or read
    ./extra/PACKAGES.TXT: FAILED open or read
    ./extra/README.TXT: FAILED open or read

it just keeps going from there... pretty much everything I see now is saying input/output error
    Last edited by seraf; 07-23-2009 at 01:55 AM. Reason: inaccuracy

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by seraf View Post
    I actually bought the disc from some vendor on ebay. I would have thought he had checked the md5sum since hes selling all kinds of distros..
    I think it would've been better if you had purchased the disc from the respective distro's site (sure the guy on ebay might be selling them a bit cheaper). There is no guarantee the dude burned the discs properly, and when you buy the stuff from the proper place your money actually supports the devs not to mention it is almost a guarantee that they have the cd/dvd made properly.

Also in your other thread reed9 pointed you to a place where you can learn to make a bootable usb? Did you give that a shot? I think it would be worth booting from the usb. If not I would suggest using torrents to download the slackware 12.2 dvd. Considering dvd's for other distro's are working fine it is pretty clear the fault is with the slackware dvd you have.