Find the answer to your Linux question:
How can I determine if my 12.0 version has a driver that will/not allow me to communicate with a serial or parallel device via the USB port that are currently ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

communicate with device via USB

How can I determine if my 12.0 version has a driver that will/not allow me to communicate with a serial or parallel device via the USB port that are currently functioning on the non-USB ports?
    If none exist, how do I go about obtaining them?

I guess plugging it in and running `dmesg|tail` or `lsusb` is a good place to start.
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

Linux User
    I'm told the parallel to USB cable is restrictive as to what pins on the parallel port can be accessed (i need 1, 12, 16, 25) and so have not bought the cable until I can verify a satisfactory driver is available. That approach will not be helpful at this juncture.

Oh, that's what you mean

I've found several items on the net that seem to agree that a paralel2usb cable should work under Linux (for example) when it comes to printing.

But I've not found (or didn't look hard enough) anything about individual pins, and I have a feeling the mystery device we're talking about isn't a printer(?).
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

Linux User
    The mystery device is an A/D converter which is likely to become 1 of 3 which I need to hang off the computer. I have designed a multiplexor so it may end up being couple more lines to the multplexor. I should note too that since there is a 125u sec. (max possible) frame delay (just learned this) on the USB port this is looking like taking 300 samples per sec is nearly out of the question. For scientific work this is really the pits. Wonder which moron thought that up for fire wire? <);^)