Find the answer to your Linux question:
Should I be using a embedded prog from HP for my HP cdwriter? This seems like a wierd question, but I am now trying to configure my system. I have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

CD Writer setups

Should I be using a embedded prog from HP for my HP cdwriter?

This seems like a wierd question, but I am now trying to configure my system. I have managed to install my gcc for my dialup and am still needing assistance with pciutils, and sh from my other post. If anyone more saavy may suggest either. please let me know at your earliest convenience. I have two cd writers installed and am trying to set them up to read and write at will. That is why I don't want to download a 60mb file if I don't have too. I was just wanting to ask again about the embedded if it is necessary? Sorry to draw out so long...

Ok, I'm kind of lost as to what you're asking. Standard CDR/RW drives are able to read and write just fine in Linux using the drivers that come with Linux by default. No "special embedded super ultra XP edition" software required.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

CD/rw

That's good news. my more specific answer might be beter explained as I have a scrap cd/rw out of a Pavillion and have heard they are not compatible without their original software, but this is a windows problem. Does the problem exist w/Linux?

My other cd/rw is a normal internal I purchased. I have yet to try to write on either but that is my next task.

Third, Maybe with your experience I can pose a question about Linux Slack10. I also have RedHat linux 9.0 and 7.2 (3 iso cd with 9.0) but have found them difficult to install. I have had that system installed once before and was able to connect to the net, With Slack, I have not been able to connect. Would you recommend using Redhat on should I continue with My slack setup?

I enjoyed RH 9.0 when I had it running. Slack is proving to be more troublesome so far. Thanks for the clarification on the cd/rw.

I am trying to setup a serving platform from my old PIII or P4 2.8Ghz with two 160GB drives for my archives and utilities.

Thanks for the help

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

Re: CD/rw

Quote Originally Posted by Prickle
    That's good news. my more specific answer might be beter explained as I have a scrap cd/rw out of a Pavillion and have heard they are not compatible without their original software, but this is a windows problem. Does the problem exist w/Linux?
    As far as I know, it should work just fine. I've pulled CDRWs out of HP Pavillions before with no ill effects (in either Linux or MS Windows).

My other cd/rw is a normal internal I purchased. I have yet to try to write on either but that is my next task.
    My advice would be to try burning with both. If it works, you've got no worries. If it doesn't, post back and someone on the board can help you I'm sure.

Third, Maybe with your experience I can pose a question about Linux Slack10. I also have RedHat linux 9.0 and 7.2 (3 iso cd with 9.0) but have found them difficult to install. I have had that system installed once before and was able to connect to the net, With Slack, I have not been able to connect. Would you recommend using Redhat on should I continue with My slack setup?
    I'd say go with whatever works for you, and if that's Slack, stick with Slack. I think you'll find that any Linux distro has everything you need for most tasks, including server applications. It just boils down to whatever you're comfortable with.

I am trying to setup a serving platform from my old PIII or P4 2.8Ghz with two 160GB drives for my archives and utilities.

Thanks for the help
    Post a question (if you have a specific one) on the server section of the forum, or just read some of the threads there. I'm sure there's plenty of information on getting that set up.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants