Find the answer to your Linux question:
ibm 1.5 ghz with 256 mb ram im wondering if slackware 13 would be the perfect resourse friendly distro? what do you guys think?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

My Wife has very old Laptop

ibm 1.5 ghz with 256 mb ram im wondering if slackware 13 would be the perfect resourse friendly distro? what do you guys think?

oz
    forum.guy
    Here are the system hardware requirements to run Slackware:

The Slackware Linux Project: Installation Help

I've ran Slack many times and think it will run on the requirements mentioned but also think it would be terribly slow on a 486 with 64 megs of RAM, should you want to run a GUI.
    oz

1.5 Ghz is still a perfectly good machine. You may want to consider adding some RAM, as that is rather cheap these days and will improve the performance a lot.

If you like Slackware, you may also want to look into VectorLinux. It's basically Slackware, but optimized for home usage. So it has all the codexes and media players and all. And it's very fast. I've had no trouble running that on a 800Mhz 256MB RAM.
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I would agree vector linux would be good or for a debian based distro, Antix.

Slackware is what you make of it, in large part, but it can be a challenge to set up. You wouldn't want to run KDE in Slackware or any other distro on that machine.

Quote Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
    You wouldn't want to run KDE in Slackware or any other distro on that machine.
    No kidding! But a lightweight WM like XFCE, or better yet IceWM, would have no trouble at all on that box.

My first Linux install was on a 1 gig processor with 512 RAM. Fedora + IceWM ran really smooth, so I can only assume that something like Vector or Antix would be lightning fast!
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    If you do go for Slackware, have a look at slackbuilds for software installation
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

oz
    forum.guy
    I think Slax and Zenwalk are another couple of Slackware based distros that might be light enough work on it, or at least worth an attempt.
    oz

Linux Newbie
    Ok some of you suggested Slackware with Xfce now would any of you would be able to tell me how i can install Slackware with xfce?

oz
    forum.guy
    Zenwalk as mentioned above is based off of Slackware, and it uses Xfce, so you might find it easier to install and use than a Slackware/Xfce install:

www.zenwalk.org - Ever tried zen computing?
    oz

Xfce comes in the default install of Slackware. To be more precise, it's in the xap/ package collection. KDE is in it's own kde/ package collection, so it's easy to exclude that from the install.
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI