Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello people, how is everyone doing? once again I'm back for a few questions about slack10 - I have heard that the sound card on slack10 belongs to 'root' by ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

sound card and partition management

hello people, how is everyone doing?

once again I'm back for a few questions about slack10 - I have heard that the sound card on slack10 belongs to 'root' by default - is there anyway that i can listen to sound when I'm logged in as 'user'? - it says 'drive error' when I try to listen to a music CD or even when i try to load a file

second question: is there a way to access other partitions with X on my /dev/hda when I'm logged in as 'user'? I have a second windows partition with lot of university work in it and I'd like to work with it under slack but i cant get it as it says 'access denied'.

quick explanation: that happens because I have been told that logging in and working on X always as 'root' is not a good idea and it's not safe so I created a user account and now I usually log in as 'user', but there are lot of things that dont work as usual, i.e. sound, partition management etc....

can anyone help?

p.s.: by the way I have already tried changing permission with 'chmod' and also tried to change the /etc/fstab (for the partition bit) but nothing seems to work - any suggestions welcome
    If you get on the wrong train all the stations you will come to will be the wrong stations.
    Zen

Linux Newbie
    by the way, I forgot an important bit...

if I'm logged in as user I can't even access my other linux partition (/usr/local) which is pretty big (about 20GB) and and where I would like to store all the spare stuff

thanx
    If you get on the wrong train all the stations you will come to will be the wrong stations.
    Zen